Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: short takeoff best tech

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: short takeoff best tech

John I am guessing by your picture you must be a professional pilot. You should take your airline hat off when talking about Kitfoxes Your putting WAAAYYYYY too much thought into this and taking all the fun out of it!!

My short field takeoff technique is put in around half flaps...go to full power, full down elevator as soon as the tail lifts neutralize the stick....count...One...Two...three...Pull on full flaps and it'll jump off the ground. As soon as I build a little bit of speed I drop the flaps out and fly away. Heavy I use the same technique I just count a little bit higher before pulling it off. If you pull to early you'll drag the tail a little ways making your take off roll longer than it should be so the timing is pretty important.

Try experimenting with flaps I think you'll be pleasantly surprised....

If you watch the guys at the Valdez STOL competition in this video they drop their flaps to break ground no matter what kind of plane they are in. Some of these guys are the best in the world at what they do.

http://youtu.be/F9EnVah07k0
    Last edited by SS7Flyer; 07-29-2013 at 10:01 AM.