Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 87 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Thanks for the info Paul and for the advice re retiring!! Actually, I shouldn't complain. I only work about 30 days a year now. Anyway, last few days has been fiddly stuff. Tanks are in. the gauges are in as are the wooden blocks between tank and #1 rib. Preped the wing for priming and experimented with hand painting epoxy - that was fun! First attempt at brushing was rubbish. tried a foam brush and a narrow roller. the narrow roller is most successful on the large spas but will have to revert to brush for small tubes and edges. did the trailing edges and started on the under tank false ribs. And amongst all that the diesel generator decided to quit so I have it in pieces. some pics below on progress.

Question: I am soon to start on the LLE and got it out of the box. Are there any instructions for their installation? I cant find any. Anyone have a few hints?

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

Email Debra at kitfox and she will send you the PDF instructions for the LLE. It's really straigh forward though.

Thanks Josh. So there are separate instructions! perhaps I have misplaced them but thanks - yes, I saw your posts and thought it was pretty straight forward but I am sure there a few little tricks to it. You have been a bit quiet lately? No doubt hibernating by the look of the weather up there! Cooled of a bit here now and able to get a bit more done.

cheers
    r

Yeah, I need to fit my other wing tip. So much to do so little time. The good news is we have being flying quite a bit lately. My sister was up from North Carolina so we took her flying into Jasper National Park but the wind over the rocks didnt agree with her...or our dog who puked in my lap...twice haha.

I'm secretly jsut waiting for you to get ahead so I can watch you make the mistakes and learn from them

Funny Josh! Hope you have video of the unfortunate sister and dog flight!

As for waiting for me to catch up, well, there will at least be PLENTY of mistakes to learn from! How you find the painting of the epoxy primer? I' struggling to get a good job..... Let alone a neat one!
    Cheers

R

The best way I found to apply it with out spraying is to get a good sponge and dab it on. If you use a brush you can get hair line brushstrokes down to the aluminum that could take away the primers protection

A hobby style airbrush gun with its little compressor works great in those tight areas. I used one on my Series 5 to spray epoxy primer and varnish for all wood after wing was complete. Some thinning of the paint is required but it leaves a better finish and you can shoot into all those nooks and crannies. Bruce N199CL

Why worry about brush marks, etc. when it will all be covered up and never seen again. Just get the paint on in a functional protective manner. Just IMHO.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Why worry about brush marks, etc. when it will all be covered up and never seen again. Just get the paint on in a functional protective manner. Just IMHO.
    Brush marks can lead to no protection where the marks don't provide adequate coverage.

Default Laker Leading Edge

I have started on the LLE install. I have only started the trimming and installed the leading edge guides. I have had to trim down one of the rib cap strips to get the leading edge template to fit nicely. However, I have trouble getting the template to fit perfectly on the wing root end ie. rib #1. The trouble appears to be the profile that the spa reinforcement brackets creates - a little higher than the rest of the spa The top of the tank and the cap strip #1 all align well, so it really isn't an option to sand that down. I guess I am wondering how critical this is in this location? The LLE follows the top curve nicely to the curve on the piece of the leading edge guide and then there is a gap of about 2-3 mm as it curves and meets the bottom cap strip of #1 rib. My thinking is that this point on the wing is probably in disturbed air most of the time due to the proximity to the windscreen and cabin, and therefore probably not that critical. Has anyone else doing the LLE experienced this?

cheers

Ross