Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Ross, My sight gauge background is yellow , and while I think a light colored background is best , early on I always had a hard time seeing the fuel level in the sight gauge. To remedy this , I added a dark color painted (fuel proof paint used) small diameter cork ball in side the sight gauge tube that floats on the fuel and solved my problem. I found the cork balls online and had to do a little sanding to them to get a sliding fit in the tube. Bruce N199CL

My sight gauge are white to...i take a plastic sheet for shower....it thin and white...

Does the SS7 kit not include the fuel level placards.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

I order the kit...and he just have plastic tub ,ty rap paper self gluing ,with graduation on,barbe fitting and translucid paper...no aluminum sheet...

A bit of caution. I just looked at the placards on JF's sight gauges. I filled carefully and calibraged my first Model IV in gallons and found that at the top of the sight tube when the bubble disappears, the actual fuel quantity to be about 9 gallons and at the bottom about three remained depending on fliigt attitude. The first airplane had two scales, one for level flight and one for the prefiight check in three point attitude - they will be different. My new Model IV has the gauge calibrated similar to the factory placard, but instead of full at the top of the gauge it is marked 3/4.

Likely not a real issue as the bladder typically fills faster than the fuel drains, but when out and about in the remotes, it could become an issue.
    Last edited by HighWing; 01-18-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks guys for the reply. I must admit I got ahead of myself here ....again! You are right DHolly, the kit does come with the placard! I stored it separate from the other gear and forgot about it. I am painting the backing alloy plate white.
    JFK Quebec, my kit had the two alloy backing plates. Part no.12015.101.

And thanks for the warning/advice Highwing. Invaluable as ever.
    Cheers

R

Default Re: tanks in... after some effort to clean them!

I’m pleased to see you are rinsing them with Acetone. I had a problem with the Mold Release getting into the Carburetors, a couple of scary landings, and I contacted John. He recommended sloshing the tanks with Fuel & Acetone. I used 2 gallons (acetone mixed with fuel) sloshed each tank 5 times, no problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Despite the temp hitting 45 c this week, we have achieved a bit of progress in the mornings early before it gets too hot. Armed with 16l of acetone and a fine paint strainer I embarked on the 3 rinses recommended. Well after 15 rinses, I was still getting what I call 'dead skin'. See the photo below. I decided to give it away for the day and check with John McBean. After a number of emails and photos and back an forth he recommended to keep rinsing but with regular gasoline. I must admit, before doing that I decided to give them a good sloshing with water and soapy water and then rinse them with heaps of fresh water. Then when I tried the gasoline rinse, I only got a few little pieces of 'dead skin' so went on to rinsing with gasoline until I got 3 clean rinses in a row. decided to prep the tanks for installation and leave them over night to dry out. This morning I tested them once more with acetone and CLEAR!!!! Yes!

I reckon it took me about 23-25 rinses per tank to get them clean. John thinks the 'dead skin' is excess cab-o-sil, a bonding agent. In any case, I will still be installing visible filters in the fuel line and checking regularly.

Also, perhaps if I did this again I would start with a good water and soap rinse, followed by gasoline and finish off with acetone - the more aggressive one of the three ....and the most expensive!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Talking Re: Oz build SS7

Watching your progress I which I would have ordered the kit versus buying the flying SLSA. Looks like fun!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

HI Paul,

You have doubled my cautiousness re the tanks - I plan to given the another rinse out before hooking up to the engine. The acetone and gas mixture sounds sensible. And Filter filter filter. And yes, it is fun building from the kit!

Started the #2 rib and others under the tanks today. Fiddly, but doable. Had to knock off though as work work is demanding me pay attention to some issues!! Maybe I should just retire!

cheers

ross

John had recommended 1/2 gallon of Gas and 1/2 gallon of acetone, I opted to do more, I had one landing where I had to shut the engine off so I could land. I wanted to make sure the mold release was GONE! I did my typical Mechanical Engineers overkill.

I retired last December due to health issues. I finally started feeling better last summer, and now I am finally getting back into flying. Retirement was the best thing I have ever done. You should consider it.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-18-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas