Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 22 of 87 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

I'm coming to visit next winter haha

You would both be welcome!

R

Ross, just make sure anything that is to be installed in the aft fuselage is in before covering otherwise you will need a trained monkey to install stuff after the cover is on. Thinking on my Series 5 here is what is behind the bag sack: Battery and master solenoid (IO-240 engine needs lots of weight aft) , ELT and antenna, com antenna and associated ground plane, static port and plumbing, wiring for: battery, rudder trim servo, stab trim and cabling for rudder and trim indicator. I am probably forgetting something , but you get the idea-think of anything you need to install now or even possible upgrades that you might to add later and put it in now. I added rudder trim several years after my build and the hardest thing to do was run the wires from the rudder to my center console in the cockpit. You are motoring man, I can't believe your progress- there must be elves that show up every night in OZ!

Thanks for the tips Bruce - I already have the elevator trim and indicator wires run - I was not aware that rudder trim was used much with the 7? I think yours is a 5 is it not? Does anyone with a 7 use rudder trim? I flew with Paul Leaderbrand and in John Mc's plane and I dont recall rudder trim in either of theirs. However, I think your advice re the radio antennae is wise and I might have to get on and order a radio unit soon. I have been leaving all the avionics 'till the last moment as things change so quickly! And I wont have the engine weight issue that you have so will mount those other components behind the seat I think. Again thanks for your thoughts - made me think a bit more.

We pulled it apart today in prep for covering and had a big clean up in the hanger. Felt a bit strange pulling it all apart!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ross, Yeah its a bummer to have to take it all apart after you worked so hard to get it to this stage. I had to do that several times during my build. Yes mine is a Series 5 , which is basically the same airframe and thus the same flying characteristics as yours. If you search for rudder trim on this site you will find several variations of trim and why I installed mine. Basically I started with a fixed tab and found that it helped but wasn't sufficient, so I went to a cheap cockpit adjustable , model airplane servo actuated system that has worked great for several years now. Nothing worse than having to hold rudder pedal on those long cross country legs. Bruce

Thumbs up Re: Oz build SS7

I read your Joined Date, the date you joined the forum, as the date you started the project, versus the posting date. Oops! 4 1/2 months, to me is unbelievable! I have looked at projects that 4 1/2 years into the project they are not as far along. Your better half must of told said, if you are going to spend that much money, you are going to finish it, and not let it just sit in the corner. Obviously, you have the support of your lovely wife, and I have enjoyed you postings, keep up the excellent work!

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    thanks guys - actually Paul, it's only been 4 1/2 months since we got the kit. I dont think I am particularly fast - just putting in the hours. Maybe I'm doing something wrong!
    Anyway, a combination of no snow (hope the snow thaws soon Josh) and not working much helps a lot!

Time to read the Polyfibre book ...

cheers

ross
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Mine does not have a rudder trim, and my antennas are located below the baggage compartment. I would recommend building the antenna mounts, and running the antenna wires before you cover. Also the ELT mounting. It would be easier now than later.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks Paul and Bruce - you have me now thinking about what I want to fit in the way of avionics where I was leaving that to later - I can see the sense of getting the antenna and wiring done prior to covering.. Radio a must have, transponder must have and the EFIS (thinking either Dynon or MGL). I am thinking ELT plus SPOT tracking - as far as I know neither of these need a permanently mounted antenna.

Looking up previous posts on rudder trim Bruce.

cheers

ross

Hi Ross,

I've enjoyed following your progress. It gives me much inspiration for my future SS7 build plan.

A lot of radios can use the same type and mounting of antenna - so you may only want to narrow the radio choice down to what will work and just buy and mount that antenna.

Both Dynon and MGL have a few components that you may want to locate behind the baggage area, depending on how extensive the system is. There are a few recent threads here on mountings.

Many ELT's do require a hard mounted antenna, so you might want to narrow that down to. There has been much discussion here about location and preferred mountings. Might want to do a search for those threads.

Good luck - you're doing great so far!

Greg

Rossir,
    You are making me ashamed of myself. I haven't put time in on mine for quite a while.
    Thinking I was smart, I bought radios, etc in the states and shipped them back in the container with my kit.
    The main battery and ELT batts are now stuffed and/or out of date as is some of the Hysol that I bought. At least the Hysol will be used around the home.
    All the radios/LCD that I have go in the instrument panel, bar the antennas.
    I have gone for Dynon, an Icom , a transponder and a separate GPS that was probably a mistake.I have also bought some more steam driven instruments that I will attempt to fit in the panel somewhere. It appears that I have the room on the panel ( except for the GPS).

I have installed the ELT in the tail but, it is easy to remove it from the cradle for service. Get the cradle in. My main battery (planned position) is a metre or so further forward There should be room enough to put the battery in after covering but, just don't drop it during installation .

A question about your hangar.
    Did the council lease you the land and you did the construction or something different?
    Have they given an official lease or is it on a hand shake?
    If you don't mind, an idea of what costs one could expect would be a help.

A price check and attitude towards experimental category around Melbourne is making me think about looking further out.

Rob