Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 19 of 87 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Have fixed the short problem of the wing tips - here is a before and an after pic I am happy with the results as the tips now extend a bit forward of the LLE to allow for the fabric and a little after for to allow for the same there. I used the epoxy primer to finish off until painting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I moved on to the flaperons yesterday. My first go at solid riveting! The first few were a bit dodgy as I hit them a bit hard but after a few I got the hang of it and they ended up acceptable. The inserts in the ends again need the powder coating ground off to get them to fit, I shaped the other end pieces out of balsa wood and gave them a thin coating of hysol. You will see in one of the photos below (the one with the fine portrait of my feet!) that I haven't trimmed the end of the flaperon as suggested in the manual. What have others done there? I am wondering how important this is?
    cheers

ross

Ross,
    This was the process that I use...

To add comments above/below pics...simply insert pic, hit "return" (or "enter", depending on key board) then add comment...repeat process, hitting "enter" between pics/comments to paste on next line of text.

The key is, the photos must be stored under different names...just selecting a photo off my iPad, while using my iPad to access this forum, causes the photo to have the same name...using a photo off another site, or from your desktop/laptop, works also...just be sure the name is different when you upload it to the Manage Attachments tab.

Example....

Marine Corps Emblem
    a8197a03-1255-4407-a095-b8af945862a9_zps6e217607.jpg
    Approach into Sedona, AZ earlier this week
    image_zps4f0f9d7b.jpg

Clear as mud? Hope this helps....
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

yes , pretty risky shooting rivets in that thin metal . I used an470-3 soft rivets . squeezed them with channel locks with smooth jaws . the squeezing even flattened the rivet head to where after painting they almost look countersunk.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Well, I've had a few interruptions of late so making a bit of slow progress at present - and I have to go away for a few days work now, but have made some progress.

First I got the wing tips sorted - finally! A lot of mucking around to make them fit satisfactorily and I guess the final fit will be made after the wing is covered and I go to rivet them to the rib cap strip.

A question, I am putting microsun LED's on the tips and have cut the holes for them. how have people attached them and the lens covers? My first thought is to just use marine quality SS nuts and nyloc nuts, but I am wondering if there is way to use tinnaman nuts that would allow me to access the lights without having to remove the wingtips? Thoughts?

And then on to the falperons - I have wearing a helmet after looking at Dorsal's nose job! Hope you are felling a bit better Dorsal! That was a serious looking injury but they certainly look like they did a nice patch up job! best wishes for recovery.

So I got the hinge mechanisms all done, fitted the balance weights, gave the falperons and exposed pieces of the hinges a light primer for protection and dry fitted the brackets on the wing tips. I am waiting on more hysol to arrive before doing the bonding part so hopefully that will have arrived when I get back next week. A few pics attached.

Cheers for now

ross

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    And then on to the falperons - I have wearing a helmet after looking at Dorsal's nose job! Hope you are felling a bit better Dorsal! That was a serious looking injury but they certainly look like they did a nice patch up job! best wishes for recovery.

ross
    LOL --
    Helmet sounds like a good idea
    Really nice workmanship, I am enjoying following your build.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Gooday Ross, I found your thread a couple of weeks ago and read the whole lot in one sitting, then waited and waited and waited some more for more. Here you are back again and its time to say hi to you and all TeamKitfox members. This is my first post on this forum.

As you probably guessed I am also an Aussie, residing in Tasmania. My current plane is a Scout which I love but the lure of building my own has me at the point of putting in an order for a Kitfox. Ross, your posts are additional inspiration. The Kitfox sure does seem to fit the bill for a pilot like me. It has the same payload as my Scout and cruises faster for less fuel on not much more than half the horsepower. The negative for me is that its not a tandem seater but the positive is (what looks like) value for money. Another positive is that it looks like it will be a better short field aircraft.

Kind regards to you all,
    Rob.

Aussie Bob,

That is a Beautiful picture you posted, is that in Tasmania? I have Kitfox 703KA it is a SLSA. It is a fun bird to fly.
    Welcome to the Kitfox Forum.

Regards,

Paul Z
    from the Great State of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    Gooday Ross, I found your thread a couple of weeks ago and read the whole lot in one sitting, then waited and waited and waited some more for more. Here you are back again and its time to say hi to you and all TeamKitfox members. This is my first post on this forum.

As you probably guessed I am also an Aussie, residing in Tasmania. My current plane is a Scout which I love but the lure of building my own has me at the point of putting in an order for a Kitfox. Ross, your posts are additional inspiration. The Kitfox sure does seem to fit the bill for a pilot like me. It has the same payload as my Scout and cruises faster for less fuel on not much more than half the horsepower. The negative for me is that its not a tandem seater but the positive is (what looks like) value for money. Another positive is that it looks like it will be a better short field aircraft.

Kind regards to you all,
    Rob.

Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

g'day Rob,

Glad you found the posts useful. Yes, I had a few interruptions there a few weeks back and now I am in Perth for few days but then back into it. I have benefited from all these other guys who have gone before and who share really generously and are probably worth taking more notice of than me as I'm a bit of an amaturewhen compared to these guys! Actually, this site is an enormous plus for anyone building the kitfox - heaps of info. Where are you down there? I spent some time there around Hobart when I went south with ANARE back in '96. Anyway, ask anything you want and I am pleased to share. There is another guy who is a LAME building one at about the same stage in Sale, Vic. He doesn't post here as he is very busy, but if you get to that area I will put you in touch as he is a really good bloke. and of course you are welcome to visit us any time as well.

Hope you go ahead with it Bob. And I agree, nice pic!

cheers