Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
Your pictures and descriptions show poor technique... which will require a complete inspection of everything done by the previous builder. As a suggestion, due to age replace all elastic stop nuts and inspect the rest of the AN hardware.
I agree. It's all coming apart. Much of the remaining hardware has surface corrosion, and the stuff that was used appears to have been universally over-torqued, so I'm planning to buy all new.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
Maybe I could fly down to Toledo and look it over with you.
Yes, please do. I'll be here the rest of this week, except 11a-3p on Wed, then away Aug 1-4.

That elevator push pull tube is concerning. There's supposed to be a plastic bushing in there, very similar to the rudder pedal and flaperon bushings but larger. I know because I just bought one. That dent is concerning and if it were me I would plan on replacing that tube.
The bushing is present. I didn't think so at first because of the appearance of the tube -- it looked to me like the aluminum was wearing to powder on the steel support ring -- but it appears that the black smears are from whatever the bushing is made of. I agree on the dent, and replacing the tube.

I would get that covering off for sure. All of it.
I didn't get it done last night, but I'm definitely pulling fabric off the fuselage this afternoon.