Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Jim's Kitfox 1 build of pristine kit from 1988

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Jim's Kitfox 1 build of pristine kit from 1988

I have moved on to a challenging task of making a cowling that will fit over the HKS-700 engine. I put on the firewall and engine mount and then mounted the engine. I then covered the engine and areas of the firewall that might get resin stuck to it. I then chopped up two sheets of pink insulation foam and built it up around the engine. I used a hand saw and a sure form to rough out the shape of the cowling and then smoothed it up using drywall mesh sandpaper. After I was satisfied with the shape I coated everything with drywall mud. I have sanded and applied 3 layers so far. after it is smooth I will use some high build primer to Seal the surface and tune it all up with bondo and primer. I will use a bunch of left over cans of spray paint and make a fine shiny finish. I can then wax it all and apply 6 layers of fiberglass. Once cured, I can remove the fiberglass shell and it will become the cowling.
    3CoatMud.jpgIHKS-700Mounted.jpgInitialFoamShape.jpgAddingPinkFoam.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JDB building KF1 SN#111