Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Thanks Harlan. Didn't see anyone comment on your alignment issue with the vertical stabilizer. I have been reading the build manual I got in 2012 a lot lately. Not sure it says anything about it being tweeked. Videos are great and you are making great progress.
    Starfox

Looks great, work smooth. Nice!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

You've got it correct.
    Be certain all your cables are running appropriately before swagging. I thought mine were but in the end it came to be that they had an overlap that, from my perspective, was blocked from my view by part of the tubing of the airframe. That is how I came to replace my first ruined part in the build.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    You've got it correct.
    Be certain all your cables are running appropriately before swagging. I thought mine were but in the end it came to be that they had an overlap that, from my perspective, was blocked from my view by part of the tubing of the airframe. That is how I came to replace my first ruined part in the build.

Thanks, its not as fun the 2nd time I've found. Ha ha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

The D batteries were on some of the 121.5 ETLs, but not on any 406 ones. Hopefully you are looking at getting a new 406 ELT and not a used 121.5.

Anyways, the Artex 345 ELT has a 6 year battery and the ACK-04 has a 5 year battery; they cost about the same on a yearly basis. Do some research on these two 406 ELTs. If I had a choice I would have gotten the Artex 345, but it wasn't available at the time I built my plane. The Artex is easier to install, can use a shielded cable to connect the remote switch (the Artex uses an unshielded phone cable) and only has one battery (the Artex has 3).

I found the little battery on my ACK remote switch dead at the last condition inspection. This meant the remote was totally unable to test or activate the ELT. This battery was supposed to go 10 years, but it only lasted 5. Not a big deal to replace a battery, but it is extra maintenance. The big disappointment was knowing I could not activate the ELT in an emergency.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Since I just purchased the Artex yesterday, I hope I didn't screw up, but I thought it was the ACK that used 3 batteries??

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    Since I just purchased the Artex yesterday, I hope I didn't screw up, but I thought it was the ACK that used 3 batteries??

Rick
    Yes, that is correct. I have an ACK-04 with the 3 batteries.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Smile Door frames and stabilizer tips.

Working on the stabilizer tips and starting on the door frames. I have the rough balsa tips glued on and ready to start shaping. What did you guys cut the door frames pieces with? I'm not finding real good ways. So far I've used Dremel tool and tin snips to cut the door frame but not real happy with either.
    Looking online at John Mcbeans post about how to joint the sections and I guess in the past the frames didn't wrap around the square tubing. Better fit now I'd guess but harder to cut. Looks like it all gets filled at the joints so small mistakes will be covered up...I hope.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    The D batteries were on some of the 121.5 ETLs, but not on any 406 ones. Hopefully you are looking at getting a new 406 ELT and not a used 121.5.

Anyways, the Artex 345 ELT has a 6 year battery and the ACK-04 has a 5 year battery; they cost about the same on a yearly basis. Do some research on these two 406 ELTs. If I had a choice I would have gotten the Artex 345, but it wasn't available at the time I built my plane. The Artex is easier to install, can use a shielded cable to connect the remote switch (the Artex uses an unshielded phone cable) and only has one battery (the Artex has 3).

I found the little battery on my ACK remote switch dead at the last condition inspection. This meant the remote was totally unable to test or activate the ELT. This battery was supposed to go 10 years, but it only lasted 5. Not a big deal to replace a battery, but it is extra maintenance. The big disappointment was knowing I could not activate the ELT in an emergency.
    \\

Thanks, I will look into theses. I just thought the batteries were a two year deal, and yes everything going on the plane will be new for sure.
    Harlan and Susan Payne

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    \\

Thanks, I will look into theses. I just thought the batteries were a two year deal, and yes everything going on the plane will be new for sure.
    Most of the batteries are lithium and have longer lives. The ACK-04 battery in my ELT is $170 at ACS ($34/yr.) and the Artex 345 battery is $$205 ($34/yr.).

Do some research.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016