Brian makes some great points that I agree with. One thing I like about the Edge engines is the ability to tune the ECU. Rotax does not let you into their ECU, for many good reasons. You can adjust power levels and you can adjust AFR/EGT's on the Edge engines. Of course you better have a good understanding on what your doing or you can get yourself into trouble really quick. Like Brian said, you can tune the engine to run 914 equivalant or less power and you should see reliability that I would argue "could" be better than a stock rotax. If you are considering a 914, I would highly recommend going with what edge calls the 915. (They came out with it before the 915 release I guess) I really like that engine because the power levels are low enough you they don't touch the bottom end. The crank is NOT welded and they have left the bottom end alone. If you are like me, and wanted more I went with the EP912STI. It has been more modified than the 915. I have gone with the higher flow oil pump to help with the oil squitters that are using lower end oil. I have the upgraded to the 35 amp second alternator, and also have the upgraded exhaust. Always happy to talk engines if I can help anymore. Mike at STOL creek is very knowledgeable. I have spoken with him multiply times and he has been a rotax service center for years so he understands these engines. Give him a call!