Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lake Tahoe Series 7 SS build

Default Re: Lake Tahoe Series 7 SS build

Looks pretty good, is fairly easy to install the seat pan and check clearances.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Also make sure you don't have any binding at the rod ends at full travel both ways.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks guys. I am anal and want it to be perfect angles but it hits the seat. I also don't like that the rod ends hang to the side on such a high motion link but I always fall back on the fact that there are thousands of them out there flying.

If I were crazy anal I would change the bend...

Tim,
    That rod has always kind of bothered me too, and I have had the same thoughts as you. I feel that particular area could probably be redesigned & improved. I don't like the fact that the frame of the rod ends bears & rubs against the surface of the control arms to hold the bent rod in the proper position. I installed some thin mylar plastic washers for the edges of those rod ends to bear against. Not necessary, but it makes me feel better.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I guess the fix would be to move the front bellcrank over enough to make the rod a straight shot with possibly a kink down to clear the seat.

I can't recall how the bellcrank hooks into the sticks and it could screw up the geometry...

BTW - did you find a difference in total throw between your left and right aileron deflection? I am puzzled about it as it seems the crazy cross arm angles might be off a little or my flap control arms are off a little. I'm not too worried because if I am banged full left or full right, I have bigger issues

Default Milestone achieved - 304 hours

Success! We installed the doors today.

With a big thank you to my wife Nancy who put in around 200 hours working alongside me...the binder is complete including fwf and wiring... except the covering.

Next steps:

1. pull the wings, glue on the leading edge and cover them
    2.spend about 3 more hours to finish the wiring to the headset jacks and the sticks
    3. trim and prefit the glare shield
    4. pull the engine and cover the fuselage
    5. paint !!!

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

Wow...that's great Tim! And you've done it "your way", saving the covering for last. It looks good! What size are your tires?.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks for the encouragement. I was spent after installing the doors on Sunday.

I was struck with plantar fasciitis about 4 months ago. It is horrible and really slowing me down now. I wear braces on both feet at night and am struggling all day (contractor). I have to make a big commitment to spend 6 hours on the plane when I could easily do 12 in a day a few months ago. Our trip to Idaho was almost unbearable considering I drove the 9 hours trek each way and then took three days of lessons with stick and rudder.

I am hoping that the cold winter helps...my original target to make it to the Arizona event in October won't happen but I am still hoping to make my first flight at the one year mark on Thanksgiving. It's not a race but a target always helps me keep moving.

Tim,
    Sorry to hear about the physical issues. Good luck on the rehab. Where is your work hangar? I am close, but mountains between.
    Lowell
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I would be honored to meet you and learn about your building tips. I am in South Lake Tahoe and also have property and a hangar rented in Swansboro which is very close to you.

love your neighborhood btw

My bday is tomorrow. While I am depressed about falling apart at 57, nothing will deter my love of building.