Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Just to recap what Esser is saying. If base coat is blue, after painting blue, tape for second color, spray tape line with blue to seal, spray with second color. This of course is waiting for dry times.

Is this correct Josh?

Ralph
    OK - understand, that makes sense. You're effectively creating a barrier for any bleed by sealing the edge of the tape with a spray of base coat.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I have sprayed 6 fabric planes and this is how I get a nice clean line. Spraying a lite coat of the base paint works well just make sure the base tacks up before going into final color and by the way this works on any type plane, fabric or metal. I use this technique on fiberglass and brass in my music shop.

Really nice workmanship.
    Paint colors and scheme turned out sweet!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

I have had some experience painting in the past but not an airplane. So this thread has been helpful since I will be doing my own painting.

Noticed an article in November Kitplanes magazine in the shop tips section. The tip involves using electrical tape on the seam,leaving the on-mask edge loose. Then laying a piece of painters tape, sticky side up, under the electrical tape and press the sticky sides together. Then lay the edge of the paper or plastic over the painters tape.

I’m not sure how this would work on fabric or when removing the tape if it would peal paint underneath the tape.

Has anyone tried this technique?
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

That method works fine on fabric. I did not use electrical tape, I used 3M fineline tape. The adhesive is not as agressive or affected by solvents. It is also available in different widths.
    The 3M tape, blue masking tape, and painters paper work great. I also used some real thin viscleen for covering larger areas.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Default Update

Strut fairings are on and struts are ready for paint.

Pies fabricated and consumed:

Windshield fit, trimmed and installed. One tip: The sealing strips are really difficult to cut cleanly after the backing is removed. Fit, mark, and trim them before installing them. Also, to me the instructions were pretty vague about how to trim around the forward carrythrough tube. I was able to get my hands on some good pictures of how it is done at the factory and emulated them.

I got started on the glarshield this morning. I found it hard to find a datum to use for measuring the location of the notch to clear the fuselage tubes. Eventually I marked a centerline of dubious accuracy, and measured from the instrument panel to the tube intersection, and used that to locate the "Y". I made a cardboard template of what the Y should look like, laid it on the glareshield at the measured location, and I was shocked to find the cut ended up in the right place! I need to clean it up a little, and should get in installed over the next couple days.

I got the interior upholstery installed to the seat pan and center console. I haven't attached the floor mat and side panel velcro yet, but I fit them in place. Dang it looks sharp. I'll probably move the fuselage to the airport in a couple weeks, and then I have a bunch of painting and final assembly. I'm still thinking Q1 of CY19.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Looking really nice Brian.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Good job Brian! Looking good!

Clark

Nice, Brian! Good looking pies too!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Looks sweet Brian. If I were to do the glare shield a second time, with regard to the notches for the retaining tabs at the windshield, I would cut them straight back toward the front edge (panel side) apposed to at a 90 degree angle to the edge your cutting from. As the glare shield gets inserted it will mate with your tabs easier as the notch is received in line rather than the notch being off at a slight angle to the tab it attaches with. I would also fabricate some different tabs that extend beyond the short little bend that I have. If the glare shield flexes down into that space behind the panel, you will need to push it up from underneath to get it to engage on the tabs. If my tabs were more than 1/2 inch long, maybe a full inch, it would have received the glare shield and it would have slid up along the tab to final position. Hope that makes sense and It helps you not need a second person to assist with getting it installed.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X