Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
I wish there was more to report but there has been a bunch of head scratching. Working on the cowl I ran into the problem of my naca vent hitting the turbo and not having enough clearance. Crazy thing is 1 of the 2 builds has an issue. My brothers plane is tight but has clearance. Not sure what the different between the two is. Little differences add up when it comes to the cowl. Mine, there was no way that the Naca was going to clear so I had to modify the vent. I am worried about getting enough airflow, but I guess time will tell. I think we are defiantly going to leave the cowls unpainted for possible mods that may need to take place. Mic, one of the dual STI's in Canada sent us one of his 915 intercooler to see if it will fit. I need to get some more ducting and I think I will be able to get the 915 intercooler on the side to work. I am going off Kitfox recommendations to only run on the top of the engine as our last resort. The side should work. Just need to figure out naca vents to feed it fresh air and heat shield it from the turbo/header heat. Once I get the inter-cooler plumbed I think we are back moving forward. I will be able to get the throttle cable routing figured out, which I can then get the panel drilled and get powered coated and ready to start wiring. We can then start pluming the motor and working on the firewall wiring also. While we have been waiting for the intercooler to clear customs I have been working on getting the butt rib close-outs installed. Hinges built and doors installed. Also got the bubble windows and latches installed. I had no mishaps with the acrylic which I was nervous about. I now have taken the doors off and put away for safe keeping until final install. As I wait for parts to arrive for the ducting on the intercooler I think I am going to start working on getting the windshield started, but nervous about messing it up. Fingers crossed! Here is come pictures for now!

Setting the clearance of the radiator off the cowl.

Getting ready to modify the NACA to clear the turbo when installing the cowl.

Hopefully the vent does not restrict to much airflow to cause overheating issues???

Vent is done and visually looking from the front you can't tell.

It now has adequate clearance. Hard to tell in the picture but there is about 1.5" of clearance now. Still need to heat shield it but I think it should be good??

Naca opening cut.

Cowling is getting closer!

Butt rib closeouts done, hinges installed!

Windows installed and weather-striping installed and latches installed!

Sometimes you just need to roll it outside!

Intercooler is going to work I think!!

Found a K&N filter that fits and now just need to run a little tighter bend to get the discharge side of the cooler to intake. Not optimal running tight bends but running low boost should be fine.
Whats the model / part # of that K & N filter? Is that a Rotax intercooler or Edge Intercooler? Thanks again for the last pics, appreciate it.