Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 75 of 86 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    A gallon for two planes.
    Thanks! 👍🏻👍🏻
    Building N137DF
    STi, Rotax 915is, Airmaster

Red face Re: Dual STI build log

Second set of gap seals printed and installed. Cory flew his plane after doing his condition and inspection (BTW leakdown with the 915 pistons, 80/80 all 4 cylinders) and had to get used to how it flew. Lands slower with more elevator authority. Said it feels like the elevator works better. I have put them up on thingiverse but don't recommend putting these garage door seals on your aircraft.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5334701
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Decided to see if I can find a little more speed. Looked at the drag coefficient of a flat plate and its not good! Thought I would try and clean up the cabane landing gear some. Good for about 1mph I put them on thingiverse for anyone who wants them. Working on a piece to fill in the spot at the top to make it smooth transition.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5335360

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Dustin - thanks for putting your model up on the thingiverse. If my fairings on the Monster Shocks work out, I will do the same. May also go all the way and print out and install your contribution too. Check out my posting on the "what I did today link". R, Darrel

Looking good! I am excited to hear the full flight report?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Condition inspection complete. New brake pads, new spark plugs, fuel filter change, oil filter and oil change. Oil filter was cut open and inspected and looking good. Mag plug was clean. Leakdown was 80/80 x 4. Oil sample sent off. Found a wire rubbing against battery box. Put some fuel tubing as a shield. Installed 3d printed part to cool the ipad. Haven't flown it but on the ground with just the engine idling I could feel air going to the ipad. Also replaced both fuel caps as I have been chasing fuel transfer issue from day one.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

That fuel transfer issue seems to be a problem to lots of kitfoxes. I was hoping your blue seals took care of it for you. Did you stay with kitfox caps or go to something else?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Blue gaskets fixed the issue on Corys, but not mine. I would switch caps and issue would follow. Finally replaced both fuel caps from kitfox and then installed blue gaskets on new fuel caps. The new caps fit much tighter then the ones I had. Now the tanks stay within 1/4 tank of each other. Before I would have one tank almost empty and the other almost full at times. Worse on long flights at high altitude when it was really cold.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Huh. The caps that I and a couple other builders in Boise got are *super* tight and no blue gaskets, but we got our kits about 12-18mo after you guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Blue gaskets fixed the issue on Corys, but not mine. I would switch caps and issue would follow. Finally replaced both fuel caps from kitfox and then installed blue gaskets on new fuel caps. The new caps fit much tighter then the ones I had. Now the tanks stay within 1/4 tank of each other. Before I would have one tank almost empty and the other almost full at times. Worse on long flights at high altitude when it was really cold.
    Building N137DF
    STi, Rotax 915is, Airmaster

7-8 years ago someone on this forum suggested using little dabs of Hysol to seal up some small vent holes on the underside of the fuel caps. Apparently these small holes vent out to the edges of the cap, bypassing the vent tube that sticks up into the airstream to pressurize the fuel tank. I did that, and as I remember it seemed to help somewhat the issue of uneven fuel consumption. Has anyone else done this or heard about it, or am I all wet? It makes sense to me because Kitfox takes a standard vented fuel cap and welds the vent tube on the top. So these other vent holes, depending on their size can disrupt the amount of tank pressurization, maybe differently on the RH and LH tanks.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS