Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    I use the same style continuous duty solenoid to switch on the primary 45 amp. alternator.
    Is the contactor switching the alternator's B lead? Does the alternator not have an externally accessible connection to its field winding?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Brett,

Thanks for sharing the video of your first engine start. First start is always a hallmark event in the build process for each of us and seeing your plane running brings back a lot of memories.

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Had a milestone today, our 1st engine start!

Had to shut down early due to low oil pressure. I'm guessing that I still have air in the system. I did this a few months ago and thought I was good to go. Had 6-10 psi at 2500rpm. So, we shut it down and put it back in the shop. I have to go through the procedure once again.
    The engine started very quickly, was smooth and sounded great! Took me by surprise, Lol.
    AFR gauge worked and read 10.9 @ 2500 rpm. Could not do anything else until the pressure problem is solved, but it's all good! Another step closer.

My local DAR has bumped me up the schedule, it's now on July 10th.

Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Sent an email to Hal Stockman on the low oil pressure and to run a few things by him and see if I needed to do more than I was doing.
    He rebuilt the 912 and installed the Zipper kit, Jan 2019. Five minutes later Hal called me and chatted it up like we talked every day. (I hadn't spoken to him in three years).
    Was great to have his insight and he shared a lot of personal 912ul knowledge with me.
    So great to have him in our aviation community.
    I feel fortunate to know Hal and to have such a great working relationship!

Web capture_8-5-2023_231124_www.facebook.com.jpg

In other news... Hal dead-sticks onto a local road. Glad to see Hal is ok!

Web capture_8-5-2023_232256_www.facebook.com.jpg
    Last edited by bbs428; 05-08-2023 at 09:25 PM.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

yes sir - glad to hear that he is OK.

Oil pressure problem resolved.

I was thinking on how the pressure sender responded to a good ground. The pressure went from 6/10 to 18psi once the ground was fixed.
    Then after looking at the G3x Rotax sensor pages, it finally occurred to me that the Kavlico 150 psig oil pressure sender did not need the 40 ohm resistor that the Rotax sender does on the pcb board! After I removed the 40-ohm resistor on the hi input it read correctly and easily achieved over 50 psi windmilling the prop.

Time for a beer!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Brett, Attached is a link to the advisory circular for the "Additional Pilot Program for Phase IFlight Test"

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentid/1025667

Thanks Jason. I'll check it out.

Brett Butler

Brett - I may be putting my nose in your business but you should see this AC called out in paragraph 19 of your airworthiness certificate. I used it and really liked doing so: helped with meeting my insurance coverage requirement, reduced the workload and made the task much more enjoyable.

BTW - the recently released phased based phase I test requirements (AC 90-89C) can be inserted in your certificate. Point your DAR to paragraph 2.1.8.

Good luck,

Darrel

Thanks Darrel looks like some great info. I appreciate you giving me the heads up!

Brett Butler

I ditched the split seal. Too much $$ and dealing with the six screws, three for just one side of the seal was a bridge to far for me.

Found these 2" firewall membrane grommet's for under 10 bucks. Thay really work well for the flaperon linkage seals. No other hardware needed!
    The offset hole captures the seal when in use and when you need to remove the turtleback, the membrane is captive on the linkage so you can't lose or drop it. They are super flexible and easy to work with. The rubber is a little sticky when it's dry, so just a tiny bit of Vaseline or silicon grease helps a lot in getting them to seat.
    Turtleback removes easily. I put a folded microfiber towel between the turtleback halves before removal to keep from scratching it.

IMG_1898.jpg IMG_1899.jpg IMG_1902.jpg IMG_1915.jpg IMG_1881.jpg
    Last edited by bbs428; 05-15-2023 at 02:05 AM.

Brett Butler