Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

Finished work on the turtledeck. Not sure why the hardware in the kit was so different than the rest of the windscreen, so a quick call to AC Spruce and I replaced the hardware.
    Decided to get the split seals for the flaperon torque tubes. (Thanks Jeff "jmodguy") Turtledeck Slot Seal - Page 2 (teamkitfox.com)
    As others have found out, A small precise hole in the turtleback will not allow you to remove it from the aircraft due to the windscreen lip it fits under in front. You need to be able to slide it back to remove it.

IMG_1823.jpg

Finished the dash. Lot's of fun as it need to go in and out countless times. My back was not happy but, in the end, it turned out nice. It ended up at about 1 1/2 inches of overhang.

IMG_1819.jpg IMG_1818.jpg

My taxi cam seemed to like this spot on the lower cowl. It has 170 deg. lens, so it looks good from the cockpit. Used vhb tape to mount it. If it works well there, I'll fasten it down with some proper hardware.

IMG_1816.jpg

Was able to use my airbrush on some parts. It's a simple kit that gets the job done. Was nice to paint without using the paint booth!

IMG_1810.jpg IMG_1811.jpg
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

I agree about the airbrush, I have a cheap HF airbrush but it works fine on small parts and touchup.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Decided to place a scuff plate on the pilot's side with some spare .020 aluminum sheet. Used 3m super77 spray adhesive to bond it.
    My size 13 shoes will not be kind to the stock floor boards so hopefully this will help.

Installed the stabilizer access panels to check for fit and finish. It all lined up and looked good. Another small victory! Lol.

Added one gallon of fuel to the main tanks to check for leaks. None so far. I did a successful leak check and balloon pressure check a few years back when I installed the tanks. Was glad nothing had changed!
    Hit the start button for the 1st time and the Sky-Tec starter really kicks this engine over. I was glad Hal Stockman suggested to replace the old Rotax starter a few years back when he overhauled it.

I will be able to go for a full start soon. I needed a reliable way of moving the plane around. It has certainly gained some weight and my shop is on a slight rise. I wanted a multitasker that I could use when trailering as well as moving in and out of the shop. So I picked up this portable winch powered by my battery-operated drill. We shall see if it works out. I'm optimistic, but you never know until applied.

IMG_1809.jpg IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg IMG_1801.jpg IMG_1802.jpg IMG_1803.jpg

910500.jpg
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Enjoyed a successful attempt at a removable boot cowl seal. It's pretty low tech but it worked.

I touched up the firewall with 220/320 sandpaper where contact is made with the boot cowl to give it some tooth. I sanded the boot cowl smooth where contact is made to the firewall. I then piped out the polyurethane sealant onto the firewall. Thinner near the fasteners, thicker everywhere else. I placed a nice coat of wheel bearing grease on the boot cowl where contact is made with the plane, making sure the Skybolt receptacles were greased up. After installing the boot cowl, I fastened it all down just snug. I tidied it all up, trying not to fiddle with it too much. Best to let it cure then clean up because you start getting diminishing returns playing in wet sealant!
    Took 5 days to cure enough to take it off. Popped right off with no fuss. Still a bit gooey in the middle of the thicker sections but it came out better than I expected. I used a paint prep.cleaner/dewaxer to keep my hands clean and to shape some fillets with my fingers. Went through a bunch of paper towels and thought I was nuts halfway through the ordeal!

There are some spots that need more sealant, so I'll wait for this to cure totally (approx. 5 more days) before doing any touch up. The red grease wiped off the cured sealant no problem.

IMG_1849.jpg

Brett Butler

Had a milestone today, our 1st engine start!

Had to shut down early due to low oil pressure. I'm guessing that I still have air in the system. I did this a few months ago and thought I was good to go. Had 6-10 psi at 2500rpm. So, we shut it down and put it back in the shop. I have to go through the procedure once again.
    The engine started very quickly, was smooth and sounded great! Took me by surprise, Lol.
    AFR gauge worked and read 10.9 @ 2500 rpm. Could not do anything else until the pressure problem is solved, but it's all good! Another step closer.

My local DAR has bumped me up the schedule, it's now on July 10th.

Brett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Had a milestone today, our 1st engine start! ............My local DAR has bumped me up the schedule, it's now on July 10th.
    Brett - Exciting on the engine start and certain you'll run the oil pressure issue to ground for sure. You're going to be busy in May cause I happen to know you're booked up for a bit in June and 10 July will come quick. Then I guess you'll have to fly the plane and get bugs all over that paint eh?

Thanks for the report on the firewall seal. I am still looking at options but now you given me one that we know works. A bonus.

Good job shipmate!

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Congrats on first engine start Brett. Most assuredly a large milestone.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

For some apparent reason only known to the creator, I had no ground on the oil pressure sender. Ohmed out all three wires and bingo, an open on the ground wire.
    Now at 520 rpm (starter rpm) I now have 20 psi vs 4psi. I feel pretty confident when I run the engine next time, I'll be in the green!

I feel mucho bettero that I had good oil pressure the whole time!

Brett Butler

I'm glad the oil pressure issue was easily resolved.

Back a couple of posts you put up this picture. I'm just starting to locate all of the electrical components, so I'm going back through build threads to see what the smart guys did.

It looks to me like you have two battery contactors, one in front and one behind the firewall. Is that because you have two batteries or am I not seeing things correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Yeah, I'm so smart I have to do things 2 or 3 times to get it right! Lol. The really smart guys are all flying. My build has been ongoing for over 5 years now!

To your question - I use the same style continuous duty solenoid to switch on the primary 45 amp. alternator. Secondary is the stock Rotax alt. Only one battery atm. If I need tail weight, I may add a 2nd battery vs a dead weight lead ingot.
    Weight and balance calculation is happening very soon, and I am very curious as to how much and the balance range!

Brett Butler