Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
I do disagree with your statement that the banjo has very similar flow to a standard elbow. In my hydraulics training we were taught how to calculate pressure drop thru these kind of fittings and it has mostly to do with flow areas and the number of 90 degree bends. A standard elbow has one sharp bend. A banjo has 3 sharp bends. Different brands of banjos have somewhat different flow areas to partially make up for the extra bends. Bottom line, this is all probably just academic and not worth worrying about, but I felt better with a standard elbow.
Thanks Jim... I don't doubt that you're right. I'm just thinking about a banjo fitting I'm looking at right now... the flow path is through the hollow bolt, then exits through 3 equally spaced holes around the circumference of the bolt into the "banjo chamber" (for lack of a different term). The combined area of those 3 holes exceeds the I.D. of the outlet barb by quite a bit. Also, any one of those 3 holes is probably going to be very close to the inlet of the barb. Some banjo fittings may have only 1 or 2 holes. I don't want to bore anyone, and you're right... it's probably not worth worrying about. I do always appreciate your knowledge of hydraulics.