Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: SS7 in SoCal?

Default SS7 in SoCal?

Hey all,

I have an RV-8 now, but I've decided the 'go somewhere fast' isn't really the type of flying that excites me.. I'm seriously considering a SS7 or Speedster kit, as well as the Rans S-21. Problem is, I've never flown in one, or even sat in one. The RV-8 fits me nicely (I'm 6'5" tall and 285 pounds). I won't lie, the S-21 hits a lot of buttons for me, but the SS7 is A LOT nicer looking IMO. All of that is irrelevant though if I don't fit in the airplane.

So.. Is there anyone in the San Diego area that has a SS7 I can sit in when I get home from Afghanistan in October? Flying in it would be nice, but not necessary. It's obvious they're great flying airplanes from all the videos I've seen.

Thanks!!

Doug

Default Re: SS7 in SoCal?

Well Doug, I don't usually like to subject myself to the Mutt and Jeff association but for a Vet, I will do it. Im located in OC CA and it isn't a great distance to travel so when you get home just let me know. I can get my little A-- in the plane and come let you try on my SS7. I hope my new 1" thick seat bottom shows up by then. I had a three inch bottom under me but it turned out too thick so I use the 2" and I currently have the 3" on the passenger side. Neither of my bottom cushions will work for you so hence, we wait. I would think it should show by then.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Much appreciated, Eddie!! I'll definitely message you when I get home.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Well Doug, I don't usually like to subject myself to the Mutt and Jeff association but for a Vet, I will do it. Im located in OC CA and it isn't a great distance...
    Hi, again, Ed... Randy here... I came out in November or December at 6'5" and 250 # to try and sit and fit in your almost completed S7. It had been on the certified scales that day, close to being ready to fly.

I did not fit in Ed's S7. It's a beautiful plane, but I was too tall for it, and too much legs to fit in the cockpit.

If you give it a try, let us know your results, for future reference.

Hi Randy.
    Yes I certainly remember your attempt at getting in my plane. I didn't recall your weight but I recalled your the same height. If memory serves, It was your legs you couldn't contort and that, I believe you had stated that you have particularly long legs. I Know they weren't looking cooperative to say the least. But, I will look for any reason to fly!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I did, at the time, have a rather stiff, sore left knee, that may have hampered my attempt to get in. If he's younger and more flexible than I was, at that time, he may very well make it in, Ed.

I have a 34" inseam. Getting in and out of the front of a Citabria takes effort, but once I'm in, I'm in (with the cushions removed. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything except that I can be flexible enough when motivated.. lol

I'm a 30" inseam guy, and getting in and out of a Citabria is about the least graceful thing I ever do.

Mike

I totally agree. There's no way to look cool getting in/out of a Citabria.. LOL