Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: What is the “highest” HP someone has put into a Kitfox?

Default Re: What is the “highest” HP someone has put into a Kitfox?

this is my opinion and also I am biased. but if you want a bad boy that can land in some good cross wind you build an rv7. If you want a slow airplane to have a bunch of back country fun you build a kitfox. there you have it. I have 1300 hrs in the rv7 and about 2000 in the kitfox. no way I would do an rv12, my choice is the kitfox.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Agree but I’m not certain he has a license yet and the 12 is a very easy plane to fly and possibly even learn in with their SLSA model.

They’re a lot better than a piper 140. Guess if he’s going for a Sport license then the 12 can fulfill that too.

Yes, the Sport License now is what I am studying for... ground school, first. Not too easy to find a Kitfox to get a ride along in, here in Southern CA. RV-12s,, probably a lot easier to find a ride along in.

It's a height thing, I am 6'5" tall. Got to fit in it comfortably, for a few hours perhaps.
    Last edited by NinerBikes; 12-19-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Well your flying lessons will have to be in an SLSA at the minimum. Kitfox builds them but as you’ve stated finding a KF at a school will be hard unfortunately.

You can fit in a 12 I believe. They are super easy to fly and most all of them have a glass panel which I feel is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    this is my opinion and also I am biased. but if you want a bad boy that can land in some good cross wind you build an rv7. If you want a slow airplane to have a bunch of back country fun you build a kitfox. there you have it. I have 1300 hrs in the rv7 and about 2000 in the kitfox. no way I would do an rv12, my choice is the kitfox.
    I agree with rhis. The RV-12 is too easy to outgrow. There was an article by the owner of Van's Air Force recently where he was trying to make the case for a "Van's super cub". He talked about flying over spots where he'd see high-wing taildraggers camping, and longed to be able to do that. The choice between an RV-7/9/14 and a Kitfox is about whether or not you want a cross-country machine, or a backcountry plane. But what's the mission of a 12?

The RV-12 is just a slow RV. Our Kitfoxes are slow, but we trade that speed for backcountry capability, amazing cockpit views, and a really fun airplane. I get that NinerBikes wants to keep it LSA, so it's a no-brainer in my opinion. He'll quickly get bored of the RV-12. In terms of a school that flies Kitfoxes, that's easy-peasy. Look in the adveriser's pane over there. <------.

S&R will do an accelerated course. Well worth it IMO.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Regarding crosswind landing capability, don't sell the Kitfox short. I took my training for Sport Pilot with S&R in Boise, which can be a windy place. Early in my training I was up with Paul Leadabrand in the SS7 and when we were done the wind had picked up considerably- about 30 mph mostly crosswind. I was not ready for this so Paul landed it in that crosswind forward/side slipping it and touching down on one main and the tailwheel easy as pie. His comment was he would never attempt that in a super cub (which he teaches in occasionally) but the Kitfox can handle it "if the pilot is capable". The 18 mph crosswind limit given in the Kitfox SLSA POH is VERY conservative according to both Paul and John M.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim,

Your story is what I understand to be true about the KFs XW landing capability.

A person considers that we have a lot of roll authority with the long flaperons and a darn good rudder. Most of us trained on aircraft with simple alierons which get pretty soft at landing speeds on most aircraft.

Couple the roll and yaw authority of a KF with its high wing configuration makes it an airplane that can be pretty controllable in a straight crosswind.

I think the greater issue most of us run into is a strong XW is often very gusty too.

Pilot limitations/experience/confidence factor into what a person wants to try CX with a KF - the aircraft is very capable.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I have no problem landing with a strong cross with a kitfox. harder with my 4 I'm sure because it's up to 300lbs lighter than the newer kitfox. but the taxi back to the hangar is the *****. now with the rv, I never do a wing high landing, always a crab like the big boys. on landing I use rudder to straighten and I've done this with over 25k direct cross with a bunch of gust. the kitfox, ha, I've always went cross runway and into a taxiway off the runway, but like I said. a ***** to taxi to the hangar.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I concur. I’ve been landing in 15Kts gusting 20 or so. Landing is no issue but taxiing is
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I look back at all these things that came up in this thread. Big engine, type of plane, cross winds, training. you name it. but one things that has not been brought up, "PILOT SKILL". Doesn't matter what you put into that plane or what plane. That PILOT SKILL is the most important. Building that super plane ain't gonna cut it if you don't have PILOT SKILL.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop