Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
John did your sump drain leak also? Are you running ethonal?
Yes, on the right tank. Mogas, but no Ethanol. I'm thinking of just plugging those ports on both tanks. I can drain the tanks individually pretty easily if need be since I have shut-off valves and flare connections, and the sump on the header tank is reasonably sized and the lowest point in the fuel system. All it takes is a tiny particle (smaller than would be caught in the finger strainer mesh in the tank) to cause those drain valves to leak, and then they often have to be removed from the tank to replace or clean the o-ring or seat (or replace the valve of course). I've had to remove these Saf-Air or Curtis type drain valves several times over the years on other aircraft to clean or replace o-rings and it can be a real PITA, especially if you're on a trip. Removing and replacing fittings in those fiberglass tanks is also more problematic. Removing the drain valve from the header tank, if need be, is much less of a hassle IMO. Of course, if they're not leaking and you just leave them alone & don't take fuel samples at those points. you don't have to worry about it. I'm not suggesting that is necessarily a good idea... just thinking out loud.