Currently I have AkBushwheel Airstreak 29" tires on my plane.

I previously had the same type but in 26" and of course before that I had the 6.00-6 stock sized tires. I sold the 26" AirStreaks and actually wish I had kept them as they were a perfect match for the size of these small planes. I noticed a slight decrease in speed and extended take off distance going from the stock up to the 26's and an even more reduction with the 29's. Like most guys getting these big bushwheels, bigger always seem to be the thing to do. Personally the 29's seem to be little 'toobig' for the stock type gear.

The stock size would/will do 90% of what I need presently, since my usual trips end up at someone's place with a grass/private strip that doesn't need anything more that 8.00's/8.50's. Also,my flying has been drastically reduced this past year. I will keep the 29's since I know my flying will increase again once my house project is finished. I just don't see the need to be wearing them out sooner than necessary, especially since I land on pavement occassionally.

Since the 26" were close to perfect, I am thinking of getting something close to that size again. I have several thoughts on this....the new Desser 8.50 smoothies or the 27" smoothies. I already have a spare set of the 8" wheels required for the 27" but am thinking the weight reduction and less profile of the 8.50's might be nice. I wouldn't lose much in regards to weight with the 27's. Going to the 8.50's I am guesstimating I will gain 25-30lbs. +/- in useful load, quite a decent gain.

I have read that the 8.50's are 22" high and seem to be standing up well to use on pavement also. The price is drastically lower than another set of Bushwheels!

Has anyone tried these new tires? Any speed gains? I don't remember what speeds I was getting on the stock tires since it was several years ago. If I remember correctly, the lose was not much going from stock to the 26" but moreso when I installed the 29's. Comments?
Thanks!