I can support the idea of airpark living. We've been in one - Cameron Park - for fifteen years and still love it. Google Earth - Aeronca Way, Cameron Park, CA - that's my street.

The good: We are in the Sierra foothills and consequently above the winter Central Valley fog and far enough from the coast that we only get hints of the high coastal winds. Snow? - every two or three years maybe a couple of inches. Typically every day is a fly day unless a weather front is passing through. Also and a biggie, somehow we have been able to avoid the drama found so often in themed or gated communities. We also have four Kitfoxes here to welcome you. My next door neighbor - Cessna 206 - is a general contractor as well as a great guy and can build your dream home if you can deal with the bad.

The Bad: It is California after all with all its "drama" and costs - for new construction, you will be paying ~ $100,000 in fees. That is likely why we have so many for sale signs on the vacant lots here, but homes do come on line from time to time. I would think if you wanted something custom, bare property prices are pretty good right now.

When I hear of the cost of hangaring, I just subtract those numbers from my house payment. It usually produces a grin.