Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Advice on choosing Poly fiber or Stewart System

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Advice on choosing Poly fiber or Stewart System

I am getting ready for the paint job on my KF5. The covering is done, except just a few more tapes (YEAH)! Up to this point I have used the Poly Fiber process. The next step is the UV coat/primer.

At one point I was considering trying Latex house paint. After more research I decided I really don't want to do this. It appears there are a lot of opinions, a few success stories, but not enough hard facts and data on longevity, repairability, etc. to risk it. Nada on the Latex.

BTW, please don't turn this thread into a rabbit trail on Latex paint.

Now I am bouncing between using Poly-Tone (I don't want to use Areo-Thane because of the difficulties with making repairs) or the Stewart System. I contacted the Stewart Systems reps and they said it would be OK to use their products to finish my plane.

I am very interested in the Stewart products because of the shiny finish and use of non-toxic products. I have heard that it can be a real pain to get good results though.

What advice do you have (who have actually used these products) as far as total costs (materials & equipment), ease of use, final product, spraying equipment required, etc?
    Last edited by PapuaPilot; 09-08-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016