Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Maximum engine size

Default Re: Maximum engine size

Bruce,
    I am currently using a Props Inc. Maple 72"x46. I have been talking with Catto about building a prop for the O-290 to improve STHOL even more, but I don't want to give up cruise performance. The Props Inc prop is a nice compromise giving me descent take off performance around 150-200 with just me on board and full fuel, and a cruise between 115-120mph.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Thanks Bryan, I have a Series 5 with an IO-240 swinging a fixed pitch wood Sensenich. I too have had a hankering to try a Catto , but don't want to spend the big bucks until I get some data from Phil (he is about ready to fly his airplane , also with an IO-240) Actually I have 2 fixed pitch wood Sensenich props, I use a climb prop when I ski fly and a cruise prop the rest of the time. I have heard great things about the Catto props- we will see what Phil can tell us. Bruce N199CL

Bruce, what are the size and pitch of those props?

I'm about to embark with my 78x48" Prince...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Bruce, you are right I am about ready to fire up my engine. I just got the E-Mag installed yesterday and going to do the first runs this weekend. If everything checks out then I just need good weather for my first flight.

FYI the Catto prop I have is a 74 x 47.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Bruce, what are the size and pitch of those props?

I'm about to embark with my 78x48" Prince...
    Hi Larry, First like to start off by saying what a fine job, you did on Mangy Fox- can't wait to hear about how she performs. My IO-240 powered Series 5 started out with a Sensenich W74ek-2-58. The -2 means from the factory, 2 inches were cut off of a 74 inch prop. So I started my flights with a 72" x 58 pitch wood prop. Max static RPM was low at 2200RPM and takeoff perf suffered , so after a talk with tech support at Sensenich, they suggested I take out my saw and cut more off the props. I had to sleep on that one, but I did cut 3/4" from each tip and now had a 70 1/2" dia prop left. This helped to jump the static RPM to around 2350 rpm and t.o. perf improved without hurting cruise perf by much. This is my all around prop now.
    When I started ski flying, I wanted better get up and go out of the hole, as we get a bit of snow here in BUF. I purchased a Sensenich W74EK-54 wood prop, that I left totally stock at 74" dia. 54 pitch and it does the job. Static RPM on this one is 2400 and T.O. and climb perf is noticeably better than my cruise prop. Couple of reasons I am looking to switch to the Catto prop-1) want to be able to fly in rain and not worry about the prop leading edge eroding. 2) won't have to retorque prop every season change and 3) who knows maybe more all around performance can be had with one prop. Thats were Phil comes in, he is just finishing the same airplane/engine combo that I have except he went with the catto prop. Sounds like he is really close to a first flight-come on Phil we are rooting for you! Bruce N199CL

I'm rooting for the Catto to work also, then Bruce will give me all his old
    props when he switches, and I too can fly in the rain, but with dispo-a-prop
    leftovers from Bruce.

Jeff

Looks like the 320/340 question has been answered by Kitfox.
    Check out the "little more power thread" from Dave S
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

My project came with a FWF 582 minus the prop with a B gear box. I have been reading with interest the 670 package that is being offered by a gentleman in Florida. I do have a few questions though before I would seriously go to the additional expense. Will all of my parts, starter, carbs, exh system bolt right on, and will it all fit in my cowling with out modifications. Some have told me I would need to change my gearbox, and those are not exactly cheap. Any advise or experience doing this? Will it help my Model 4 1200 all that much?

You'd probably get in the air quicker if you run what you've got. I have no direct experience but I'm sure the 582 exhaust from won't work on a 670. It also seems to be a challenge to fit the 670 exhaust in the cowling without some tweaks and trimming. If you get the 670, make sure it includes the exhaust.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

This is why I am installing an IO-340 on my "5"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EauOoR4vFeQ
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF