Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Calling all OZ Kitfox Pilots!

Hi Ross,
    I plan to be there for at least the Saturday, so that makes at least 2 kitfoxes at Mt Beauty.

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Hi Neville,

thanks for the response - I think I may have been a little premature with my question. I have the Airmaster CSP as when I read further into the Airmaster manual, it all became apparent! I had to set the adjustable stops to allow the fine pitch to deliver the programmed RPM for take off and at fully fine pitch. It took me a few hours and trial and error but I have it nailed now. Good to hear you are enjoying flying the plane Neville.

Thanks Jono - Matty is coming also and Ben from Sale - but his kit fox isn't finished yet. Who knows who else might come out of the woodwork!?

So, the engine is performing as per parameters and the EMS appears to be sorted, so it is now time to start fixing the boot cowl permanently and the windscreen and turtle deck. And then lot of paper work! I have the scales booke for a few weeks time.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Ross,
    Since you mentioned paperwork and final odds & ends, I highly recommend you Take measurements and check main gear toe-in/toe-out. It is very important on a tail dragger for ground handling and according to McB many SS7 require a small tapered shim behind one axle to get proper alignment (there are some good threads on this in this forum; I don't believe it is covered in the build manual). I didn't need it on mine, but I felt better having checked. I know, it seems like it takes forever taking care of final details before that first flight. Some guys leave little details until after they start flying, but I liked having them all done so once I got into the air I could fly my fool head off and not be concerned about anything else. There will probably be a little wing twist tweaking and rudder trimming after you start flying, but that is quickly taken care of and is part of the testing fun.

Another thing is a fuel flow test; very important on carbureted engines but probably not so necessary on your fuel injected engine, although I would still do a basic test to make sure you have no restrictions in the fuel lines to your fuel pumps.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim,

I didn't have that on the list ...but I do now! I am taking my time on the last stretch Jim - partly logistics of availability of people and scales and also because of a week or two of commitments coming up. It is exciting to get close though! I agree with getting the little jobs now rather than leaving them 'till after first flight - I know myself enough that they will be lingering on the 'to-do' list for a long time!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

today we worked on getting the cowlings all finished off and the camlocks all adjusted nicely before permanently mounting the boot cowling. It will went pretty well although getting those camolocks adjusted and fitted with the ring and split washers was a little tedious - but nice to see them all working well. We have opted for the lightly bolted windscreen to the boot cowling with sealing rubber between and tangs for the glare shield attached to the bolts. After that, it was time to fit it all up and try the engine with its cowling fitted for the first time. posted an observer and he reported no vibrations or visible issues. And, of course, a little taxi run just for fun!

The couple of photos show the boot cowling and windscreen all ready for permanent fitting. The second is the view behind the panel prior to closing it off - there will be access via folding down the panel of course, but I must have looked there about 10 times to think if there was anything else to do in there before closing it up!

cheers

R
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Wow what a masterpiece! You've set the bar pretty high, Ross. We're
    still enjoying some fantastic fall flying here in the NW! I added a HACman
    mixture control a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be working GREAT!
    I may be able to compete with you on fuel economy now!

Thanks Doug - I think it looks better in photos than up close though - I have seen your plane and know the standard! Good that you are still getting good flying weather - I noted Scott post about another backcountry trip - I imagine you were in company? ( that guy has to take the prize for the most hours flown in a year!) I looked up the HACman system - sounds like a very good, relatively low cost mod to make for good results. Anyway, must to it and try to get the glare shield installed today. In contrast, we are getting am early summer with lovely long, warm days - albeit with the first bushfires for the season.

cheers for now

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Heaps of interruptions today but we still managed to get the glare shield fitted. It was well worth reading the many posts on this little exercise as it took a surprising amount of time to make the many little cuts and adjustments. Anyway, in the end the result was pretty pleasing. We are making up a 'mat' to cover over the cross braces area and will fix it with velcro on top of the other parts of the glare shield. We also also fitted a rubber cover strip across the rear end of the glare shield - I think it just finished it off well. Serves no function apart from that!

Tomorrow to the turtle deck!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

That sure is looking good Ross. You are right the glare shield was a lot of work to get fitted.

I got my wings installed on Wednesday, now it's really looking like a plane.

In a few minutes I am heading out to the Nampa airport to get a demo ride in the new Kitfox STI plane with Brandon. He bought it last night and attended our monthly EAA meeting. I need to take a few pictures.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

You definitely set a high bar on the wiring & the instrument panel.

Brandon bought the STi excellent. I am sure he will take good care of it, but I must say I am jealous!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas