Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: electrical gremlins

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default electrical gremlins

The rebuild is done. The plane flies great, but somehow I have successfully added a few electrical abnormalities that I don't remember existing before the fender bender.

I key the mic(pilot or copilot) and the rpm(rotax tach) increases 500rpm, the electric trim indicator lights go fuzzy and the voltage drops from 14v to 12v something.

The strobes wreak havoc in my headsets. This noise goes away when I unplug the com antenna or simply turn off the com (garmin SL40). I have even gone so far as to remove the wingtip with the strobe installed, walked out of my hangar to the truck, plugged it up to my truck battery and I still get the noise!

I can hear the transponder reply in the headsets as well. Noise does not go away with the com turned off. This may be to my latest re-routing of wire bundles to get everything away from the strobe wire. My intercom wiring may be in the same bundle as the transponder coax..

I have a ground "mecca" as it has been previously described. Rg-400 coax, all shielded wire for the intercom. Battery has been on the tester and is strong. Com antenna is installed rear of turtledeck on factory mount option. Transponder antenna is installed under copilots seat with a 3" metal disk. Key West Regulator installed. Garmin Aera, Garmin SL40, Garmin 327 and PS-engin intercom all controlled by avionics master switch

Anything common to all these issues? I'm going back to step one to confirm all grounds are clean and wiring is proper. I'm missing something....

It's a good thing I fly from a non-towered airport so I can shut everything off and just enjoy the flight....

KFIV-1200 Rotax 618
    Last edited by deejayel; 06-18-2013 at 09:09 AM.