Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Enclosed trailer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Enclosed trailer

I'm working on an enclosed trailer and have the skeleton complete and almost ready for exterior skin. The best choice I'm aware of is prefinished .030 aluminum that can be fastened with sheetmetal screws, rivets or adhesive.
    Another product that would work is fiberglass that comes in 104" by any length coming off a large roll. Smooth on the inside and textured on the outside. The fiberglass is intended for roofing on over-the road trailers. This is very rugged stuff but has a translucent characteristic that would give a greenhouse effect unless painted with a UV barrier.
    cost is about $1.30 for metal Vs $2.25 fiberglass per square foot picked up at the seller location.
    It may be possible to get the metal with crimped seams every 48" which would come in a specified width and length then rolled for transport. At this time the additional cost for crimped seam is not yet available but my guess is it would compare with the fiberglass.
    So the question is does anyone out there have suggestions for alternatives? I'm willing to spend a little more on materials if there is some savings in labor. The square footage is approximately 500 including doors.
    It's not apparent from the photo but there's a trough in the floor that lets the tailwheel drop down about 8" thus allowing for the wedge shaped profile. The chassis is a single axle boat trailer with the axle moved all the way to the rear. I'm hoping to come in at + or - 2,000# empty.
    Attached Images Attached Images