Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cover and Paint Estimate for Model IV-1200

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cover and Paint Estimate for Model IV-1200

I am trying to get an estimate of materials for covering my Model IV-1200. The previous two owners of the kit did a pretty nice job on both the workmanship, and also keeping everything together. <<I even have all of the seriously outdated Poly Brush and Poly Spray to dispose of! It's only 19 years old! Hey, it'll work, right! Ok bad joke...>>

I am referencing the current version of the Poly-Fiber Aircraft Coatings manual (Revision 21), my construction manual from 1993, and what I am seeing in the current Cover Kit in the Catalog. (I am ignoring the inspection rings, plates, etc, as that is a given.)

My questions are:
    a) What did YOU actually use in Poly-Brush, Poly Spray, Reducer, and Poly-Tone finish paint in covering your Model IV-1200? (I will admit that I am taken back by the estimates in the Poly-Fiber manual for a Kitfox! 8.5 gal of Poly-Brush, 9.25 Gal of Poly-Spray, 5 gal of Reducer??!! Our 1993 kits came with 2 gallons of P-Brush and P-Spray... a huge difference in quantity. Why the HUGE difference in quantities specified?

b) In my covering kit from 1993, the Fabric is 1.8oz Light, Dacron, 32 yards. The roll is NOT opened. I see that the current kit supplies the 2.7 oz Medium fabric. Should I go to the Medium weight fabric and spend the additional $419, or still use the un-opened light weight fabric? And most importantly, "Why?"

c) I recognize that some paint schemes create a lot of un-used finish cover paint, but what should a straight-forward finish cover paint job require? The manual says about 8.5 gal of Poly Tone and 2.25 gal of Reducer.... (this seems excessive to me...) I realize there is probably a lot of carrier solvent that will be evaporated off, but how thick is the final thickness going to be at this application rate?! At about $88 per gallon, the cost of just the Poly Tone is about $748... pricey mistake of buying too much here!

Thank you!
    Grover

The Poly-Fiber covering material estimates are in Revision 21:
    Page 152 for the Avid/Kitfox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GWright6970; 08-22-2012 at 02:46 PM.