Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to buy.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wanting to buy.

Hello everyone. I am new to all this, so I will probably make a few mistakes.
    I am looking to buy a KF. So far have bn looking at a model 4 with a 80hp rotax, wide body mod, converted to tricycle gear.
    One question I have is, on-going, up keep on the rotax. Is this a big issue as far as having to do constant adjustments?
    I also have bn looking at a Series 5 with the 125hp Franklin engine. I have not bn able to come up with much info on the Franklin.
    I would be thankful for any help.

Default Re: Wanting to buy.

Hi welcome to the KF forum this is just my opinion, but the Model 4 with the Rotax would be a better deal. The 9 series Rotax engine is an excellent engine rnot sure I know what you mean by constant adjustments ( are you thinkung of the 2 stroke engine that require carb adjustments with temp changes) the 4 strokes are not like that.
    Good luck with your search the Kitfox is an excellent aircraft.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I have heard, and read here, about carb adjustments, vibrations and such. Probably not as much of a issue as I read into it.
    Am leaning to the model 4, speedster, since it qualifies as expermental.

I have found my 912S to be hassle free so far (200 hrs), I change the oil and balance the carbs (15 min job) about every 25 hrs.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Well, that sounds simple enough. Thanks.

I have a model four 912 80 horse.
    250 hours total time and the plane is a real performer. The engine I have is older by date but only has 281hrs total time and has been a strong runner. There is currently an issue with the new replacement fuel pump offered by rotax but the company is working it out. If the plane has the original pump and checks out with your ROTAX CERTIFIED mechanic, get in. If your mechanic isn't ROTAX CERTIFIED or very experienced with ROTAX, find someone who is.
    You will love the money you don't spend on fuel and the speed you get out of that plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    I have heard, and read here, about carb adjustments, vibrations and such. Probably not as much of a issue as I read into it.
    Am leaning to the model 4, speedster, since it qualifies as expermental.
    Did you mean qualifies as LSA? Amateur Build Experimental would apply to the Kitfox 5 too, and it could also be LSA if it had been ALWAYS limited to 1320 gross and NEVER operated with an air adjustable prop. The 5 with the tri-gear is the Vixen, and later models can be converted between either TW or tri-gear. I looked at a Vixen that was 1320 gross in the San Diego area a while ago.

There are other 4-stroke engine options to consider.

Speedster also fits in nearly any garage, at just under 20' with the wings folded.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

"...And then there's the Plague..."

Tom Selleck's character, Patrick O'Malley
    High Road to China
    Warner Bros. 1983

Luv it!
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Be sure to consider the rebuild cost as well. For the Rotax 912, it’s not cheap. I have “heard” the parts alone for an overhaul are $8000 and of course, there is labor cost to add in (can someone give an actual cost to do it today?)