Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photos of Airstreaks on Kitfox 5 or 7?

Default Re: Photos of Airstreaks on Kitfox 5 or 7?

Cain, I have the 3/4 axels on my IV and one of the previous owners installed matco wheels and 6.00x6 tires . Spacers are required on the axels to allow use of the matco wheels . It actually made it easier to go back to the atv wheels and the nanco tires once I figured out what had been done since I already had the long axels.
    It gets a little confusing trying to sort thru the axels and wheels on the matco site
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks Cap01, I also run Matco 6" wheels with 700x6 Goodyears. I don't think my Matco wheels are wide enough for the air streaks. I think I would need to buy longer axles and wider wheels. I think my wheels are probibally about 4" wide. I'm thinking I would need 6" wide wheels for streaks.

Cain B

Quote Originally Posted by cainbird View Post
    Hi ackselle,
    Im just wondering what size axles you are running? I have a model 4 and it has 3/4" axles. I always wondered if you could get a 6" rim to fit the Airstreaks for a 3/4 axle and if the axles would hold up to the extra strain. Did you change over to a larger axle?

Thanks~Cain B
    I switched to 1 1/4" Grove axles. I called Gail at Grove and she knew all the part numbers I needed, and I had the wheels and hardware within 3 days of order...
    She suggested a 6x6 wheel/brake combination not listed on their site but provides heavier duty brakes compared to the "standard" 65-211 set(I beleive it was part # 65-232).

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Thanks ackselle!

Well, today I had a chance to try my new Airstreaks with the "correct" inflation. I had tried 12 lbs for the first set of circuits and found them VERY bouncy. Some advice from the forum suggested anywhere between 2.5 lbs and 6 lbs. So.... I defalted down to 4 lbs. WOW!!! Now I really understand all the hype about the Airstreaks/AK Bushwheels. It's like landing on pillows (although my first few touchdown were a touch sooner than I thought.... that extra few inches makes a big difference). They absorb ALL the little bumps, and they make the landing much quieter as there is very little vibration coming through the frame.

Until now I've been landing on the Nanco 21x12x8" tires. Nice flotation, but they don't begin to offer the additional suspension the Airstreaks give.

I was landing on snow.... and I can now tell you all, the Airstreaks on snow have the same stopping capacity as skis. Think skis when applying the brakes on snow. I really could not tell if the brakes were working, except, when I looked outside, the tire was not turning when I had the brakes applied.

I look forward to summer, sandbars and fields!

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle

Quote Originally Posted by ackselle View Post
    Well, today I had a chance to try my new Airstreaks with the "correct" inflation. I had tried 12 lbs for the first set of circuits and found them VERY bouncy. Some advice from the forum suggested anywhere between 2.5 lbs and 6 lbs. So.... I defalted down to 4 lbs. WOW!!! Now I really understand all the hype about the Airstreaks/AK Bushwheels. It's like landing on pillows (although my first few touchdown were a touch sooner than I thought.... that extra few inches makes a big difference). They absorb ALL the little bumps, and they make the landing much quieter as there is very little vibration coming through the frame.

Until now I've been landing on the Nanco 21x12x8" tires. Nice flotation, but they don't begin to offer the additional suspension the Airstreaks give.

I was landing on snow.... and I can now tell you all, the Airstreaks on snow have the same stopping capacity as skis. Think skis when applying the brakes on snow. I really could not tell if the brakes were working, except, when I looked outside, the tire was not turning when I had the brakes applied.

I look forward to summer, sandbars and fields!

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Glad to here that the lower psi is working out. Please be careful bushwheels are no substitute for skis. There's been more then a couple of planes on their back from bushwheels and some powder.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Amen to that, Nick. I watched it happen last winter.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I hear you guys! All I'm saying is the Airstreaks offer zero braking on snow..... Much like skis......but they are tires, and I look forward to using them on sand bars and dried up river beds.
    Ackselle

Installed my Matco 11" tail wheel today. LOTs of flotation, and about $2000 less than the AK Bushwheel tailwheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ackselle

Ackselle,
    Let us know how you like your new tailwheel. It looks pretty robust from the pics. Curious to see how you like it!

Cain B