Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would like Info On IFA IVOPROP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Would like Info On IFA IVOPROP

HI All,
    I have a newly mounted , ground adjustable Medium IVO RH 3 blade 70" on my 912ULS , I am thinking of converting to the inflight.

I am looking for input. Any stories on the conversion , tips , hints would be appreciated.

Any regrets , or problems with the inflight (failures).

I have only flown 3 hrs with the GA and can see it's possibilities, and now am really thinking about the inflight adjustable possibilities !!

I would like to make up my mind before I start messing with spinners !
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Default Re: Would like Info On IFA IVOPROP

the only advice I have is, just do it. Get the through hub wiring. converts from the brushes on the outside of the spacers and wires everything through the center of the prop, thus the brushes will end up behind the gear box. This set up has worked very well for me for about 5 years now. Believe me, the inflight is the way to go, opens up many possibilities. You will dazel anybody that watches you fly or fly with you, airplane on your wing.

Hi Kevin

I see you are keeping up with aviation mantra of "keep throwing money at it until it REALLY works"!!!

Just throw a bit more and get the IFA kit. You won`t regret it.

Cheers

Don

Did you get that ugly hail storm last week? The pics said 35 mile north of Regina.

Yep, no shortage of places to spend money!!

I am planning on giving you a call to pick your brain on the IFA.

That "hail" was on the south side of the valley, we got just rain on the

north side. Lucky for now !

Kevin
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

I have caught my self clicking my heels together and saying" I will not spend money on my airplanes today, I will not spend money on my airplanes today, I will not spend money on my airplanes today". The only thing that happened, I woke up.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    the only advice I have is, just do it. Get the through hub wiring. converts from the brushes on the outside of the spacers and wires everything through the center of the prop, thus the brushes will end up behind the gear box. This set up has worked very well for me for about 5 years now. Believe me, the inflight is the way to go, opens up many possibilities. You will dazel anybody that watches you fly or fly with you, airplane on your wing.

Hi,
    do you have any pictures of the behind the gearbox wiring setup ? How far does it protrude towards the firewall from the gearbox ? I have an oil cooler thermostat mounted in the area behind the gearbox.

Do you still use all the Ivo parts ?, like the slip rings and isolators that are required with there wiring setup. It seems that these could be omitted if a person was wiring thru the rotax hub.

I am considering the setup that Murle Williams sells.

Thanks; Kevin
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

that's what I have. I put a little bracket and mounted my oil thermostat on top of the gear box, one of the two top bolts. Than the setup for through the gearbox mounts right directly behind the gear box, the shaft that goes to the prop is hollow, fits in there and has a long bolt and nut that goes through all that, than two wires end up out the front and than your prop goes on. You can eleminate the extra spacers and insulators, but than you will need new prop bolts. I was in to much of a hury so I just sandwitch everything but threw the insulators and just put it on, sticks out front a bit but that doesn't hurt the operation.

I in turn put all my 360 degree markings on my spacers and that gets used for when I balance my prop. A rebalance currently is real quick for me for I leave the tape on the prop blade and the degrees on the spacers make it real nice.

I don't know the rules in Canada for certification, or if you fly the equivalent of Light Sport with your Outback. However, in the US if you put on a IFA prop, it knocks the aircraft out of Light Sport FOREVER... even if you go back to a fixed pitch prop. For some people, it's not important, but it is a factor to consider.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Texas

I heard if you put a posting on the switch not to use inflight you're clear of that rule. At least that's the type of thing cub crafters is practicing.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 08-22-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Canada does not have a LSA classification. We have Basic Ultralight and Advanced Ultralight. Kevin`s a/c will be too heavy for either of these classifications and will be a Homebuilt. The operator must have a PPL or at the very least a Recreational Pilot`s License. IFA propellers are allowed.

Don