Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV Speedster & learning to fly

Default Re: Kitfox IV Speedster & learning to fly

you guys are scaring me. why are they (kitfox) so hard to fly? or is it just the speedster?

Can't comment on the speedster but I find the 7/SS to be a very easy and fun plane to fly.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I suspect the real reason the Kitfox has the reputation it has is because the original landing gear came from the factory seriously toed in - very destabilizing on the ground and especially so on landing and take-off. The factory eventually sent out a method for tweeking the landing gear, which I did before the first flight of my Model IV. I never felt it was particularly difficult to fly and feel that the early talk was that it was a handfull influences perceptions today.

I have a friend that flys a Stearman to warbird events. More than once he has been approached by the high performance guys - Mustang - and told that they were glad they never had to train in the Stearman as it was a great deal more difficult to fly (read land). And this was the Army's primary trainer in the old days. It served well those that moved on to the Mustang, Corsair and others.

I guess I feel more like AKFyer in that it is doable, but may take a bit more time, but will make you a better pilot overall. It is exactly like any educational experience - a bit more challenging, a bit more time resulting in a greater level of skill.

Lowell

The Kitfox is no problem to fly but ground handling is a different thing.Think Luscombe. Like the Luscombe (a fine aircraft !) the original gear is very narrow. You have to work the rudder to keep the airplane on track. If you learn properly,it will make a good taildragger pilot of you.
    Some things that will help is to use a wider gear. I have the "bush gear" on my aircraft which takes the gear spread from about 4 ft to 7 ft. This really improves ground handling. The Grove gear would do the same. It only takes a few days to install either gear and I think, a worth while operation.
    Personally I would rather start a new pilot off in a more "gentle" taildragger such as a cub or champ prior to transistioning into a Kitfox. You can of course use the Kitfox as a primary trainer but I would be very cautious. Case in point is a local Kitfox.( Kitfox 3 with standard gear) The instructor had given over 25 hrs of dual in it to the new owner and he still could not keep it on the runway. Now at 40 hrs, I saw him solo it the other day. This man is in his mid 50,s and is probably not as sharp with his stick/rudder skills as some of you guys are so it pretty much depends on the person.
    Bottom line here is to get good instruction and only fly when the conditions are good untill you have some time under your belt.
    OR..you could get a nose dragger. They break too though . We have two aircraft that we have to repair that have busted nose gear ,prop and engine mounts from porposing on landing (a Rans S-6 and Paradise P-1...thanks for slipper clutches !)
    Dick

thanks for explaining this. that new gear sure makes Fox look more stable

Gonna chime in on this one...

I have flown > 650+ hours in "taildragger" H-60s (Blackhawk Helicopters)

Once upon a time, in a land far far away...when afforded the opportunity to fly with Peteohms in his 912 powered Model III, I noticed that you've got to "dance" on the pedals when on the ground.

Also, I've flown an Extra 300L and, again, ground handling is the issue...

The biggest issue I would warn is not to get "lazy legs" on the ground and think that if you put the pedals in a particular position you're good...better watch out, cause you'll be looping into the grass before you know it.

Once airborne, coordinated flight is always best...even in a slip you still need coordination so as not to skid....

Hope to hear of you flying your FOX soon.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

I figured I'd bring some closure to this question.... I passed my flight exam last week and received my license. For me anyways it was possible to learn to fly in a Kitfox Speedster. Thanks everyone for your comments and support!
    Kitfox IV Speedster

Congradulations, should be lots of fun in your future.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hallelujah and Congratulations! Wonderful News: A brand new pilot, trained and licensed in one of the world's premier taildraggers, no less!! Holy-moley, what is this world coming to?? A better class of pilots, it seems!

"E.T."
    (Keep the feet-bones connected to the brain-bone! )
    Last edited by DesertFox6; 09-01-2011 at 11:33 AM.

You do realize you are/were the newest pilot in the entire world!!!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos