Anyone know if you can tell whether or not the fiberglass fuel tanks are made with the Vinyl ester or the polyester resin? Maybe somekind of test to tell the material composition? Mine are from a 1994 kit and Kitfox suggests sloshing but then I read the horror strories about it coming off in flight and plugging up the fuel system. (even if the the tanks are prepared correctly) If they are made with the Vinyl ester , I am thinking about just going for it and using the ethanol gas and monitoring the tanks. Maybe emptying them after each flight so the gas doesn't sit. I believe there is one gentleman on this forum that has been using Ethanol gas and has had zero problems.

If they are the polyester ones than:

I thought about just running 100LL with decalin and dealing with the lead in my 912. This seems like the cheapest route short term but after speaking to Lockwood Aviation, I would definately be in for an engine cleaning in the near future. Who knows how much that'll cost and they recommend using the ethanol fuel for other reasons.

I thought about changing the tanks but that is very costly. I just fininshed the wings. Now I would have to tear back into them. What a drag! Not to mention my budget is already stretched to the max. That is why I bought a USED kit.

The plastic wing tanks are as much or more than replacing them with factory tanks so they are not really an option. I would require 4 tanks to get close to the 26 gal capacity I have now at $525 per wing. (although probably the easiest and the most "Ethanol proof")

I can weld aluminum so I thought about welding up some tanks and doing kind of what the Wingtanks.com plastic tanks do, only alot cheaper. Since they would be foamed in and not part of the wing structure, there would be no stress thus no leaking seams. This would require alot of "engineering" on my part.

It seems like one day there will be no lead in avgas so that will cure alot of the problems but I am sure that is many years away and I want to fly now. Anyone have any other suggestions? How is everyone else dealing with this? I know it has been cussed and discussed many times on several forums but there really doesn't seem to be concensus on how to deal with this.