I’ve reached a decision point on the doors.

Quandary… should I pop rivet the door skins to the door frames or use PK screws?

Pop rivets are low maintenance. I’ve rarely had one break or fall out. However, when the time comes to replace the glass ( a certainty at some point) it’s a real pain drilling out all the rivets. There is also the issue of the old rivet residue rattling in the frame. The new door latch ferules are 1/4 inch so it might not be so hard to clean out the trash.

PK screws are simple to replace… But they do have a little habit of falling out. I think there is a sprite with a Phillips screwdriver lurking on every airport. Replacement of the glass is pretty easy if I use screws. As an added benefit you can control the tightness of the screw to prevent cracking the glass. That’s hard to control with pop rivets.

Being new to the Kitfox, I guess this is an informal survey to see what the regulars have done.

While on the doors, the build manual suggests 3M acrylic mounting tape as a seal or bond between the door frame and the skin. I’d appreciate any experience with this. The only time I’ve used it is to apply body moldings on a truck and getting it off later was an affair to remember.

John Pitkin
SS7 in build
Having a ball.