FAA Announces new endorsement needed for "Off Airport"

I'm not sure how I feel about this...

In light of the recent accidents/incidents involving airplanes operating "off airport," it looks like the FAA is finally starting to clamp down.

In an unprecedented move not seen in over three decades, the FAA has announced a new addition to 14 CFR § 61.31 - Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.

Like complex, high altitude, gliders, NVGs, and tailwheels, the Administrator has announced paragraph (L) which will now regulate landing "off-airport."

Apparently landing on the "grass" is too dangerous for a private pilot, and will now be required to undergo 15 hrs of training from a CFI and obtain an "Off Airport" endorsement.

Without the endorsement, the new rules allow for private pilots to only land on a "runway," which is being defined as: " A rectangular area on a land aerodrome prepared for the landing and take-off of aircraft along its length."

Apparently landing in an un-improved or improvised areas will now be subject to a violation w/out this new endorsement.

All I can say is what next....

and Happy April Fools Day, SwoffDaddy