I've been using an iPad mini (generation 2) with Foreflight installed in a Guardian flush mount tray in my instrument panel. This tray also has a small air cooling fan that blows cooling air onto the back surface of the iPad. When I'm flying with the iPad charger plugged in the iPad gets hot and I get the warning to shut it down typically 15-20 minutes after the flight starts. When I fly without the charger plugged in the overtemp never seems to happen but the battery loses half its charge within 2 hours of flight. I've done some of the things suggested on the internet to reduce the heat build up in the iPad, such as: close down all iPad apps not needed to run Foreflight; shut off background app refresh on the iPad; I installed a larger cooling air fan then the one that came with the Guardian iPad tray; I try to never let the iPad sit in direct sun. I don't know if a newer generation iPad will run cooler or not but I hate to buy one and find out it doesn't improve the issue. I'm also planning to purchase a charger (cigarette lighter to USB adapter) with less current capability that won't charge the iPad as quickly and I'm hoping that it will cool things down, even if it doesn't fully recharge the iPad in flight.

Has anyone out there had similar iPad overheat issues and reduced or solved it somehow?