Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Series 7 Super Sport - Show Me Fox

Default Re: Kitfox Series 7 Super Sport - Show Me Fox

Things are looking good! Did Brandon tell you about the banjo fittings for fuel tanks? Both of our planes on the left tanks started to leak so we had to retro fit them. IMO banjo fittings are the way to go. Allows you to get the fitting tight and in the correct orientation.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I actually learned about the Banjo fittings from a windshield overview of your build log.

I believe that is the route that I would like to follow. I haven’t decided which style I want to go with.

I discussed Banjo fittings with Brandon. The Kitfox fittings are about $100 dollars each.

There is an interesting thread on this forum that shows you how to make them.

Alex Munro also found some that uses AN fittings instead of barbed fittings. They are reasonable in price but I would need to use different hoses or fittings which would offset the cost savings on the fitting itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only "found" them on one of the banjo fitting threads on this forum. I was mystified for a while as to why they were expensive and rare because my motorcycles are cars are infested with banjo fittings.

The reason is that a normal banjo fitting is a stack up of the bolt, the "banjo" and a couple of metal crush washers. They seal up because you torque the crap out of them into machined steel or aluminum. But you can't apply that kind of torque to NPT threads, and certainly not in a thin fiberglass tank wall.

For a banjo fitting to work in this application it has to be designed as a unit which crushes those sealing washers internally while still allowing it to pivot. Then you screw it into the (in our case) fuel tank with just the right amount of torque for the tapered threads to seal. Pretty limited application.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Thanks Alex, that explanation narrows things down quite a bit.

Default 29 Nov 2022: Avionics Kit

Ordered G3x, LRU Kit, and Install Kits from Stein Air.

Stein Air advised they would provide builder support, fabricate wiring harnesses, provide wiring diagrams after the sale. The cost for Stein Air to build a basic wiring harness for a G3x is approximately $1500. Add an autopilot $500. Add a Com Radio $500. GMU 11/22 $150. Labor $725. Prices have been rounded. If I simply wanted a diagram of how to assemble the wiring harness myself the cost would be $625 because I purchased the avionics from them. It would be double if I had purchased the avionics elsewhere. Wiring diagram is free if they assemble the harness.

I was advised by Kitfox in no uncertain terms they would be happy to sell me avionics but they will not assist me with support after the sale because they do not want to devalue their drop in kit.

Stein is awesome! I would highly recommend purchasing from them. When I had questions on my install I called stein, even though I didn’t buy from them, and they where very helpful. I was calling to ask about putting in a resistor for rpm signal and they informed me they make a pcb board that is easier to wire in. I would buy from them and get the wiring diagram as it would save tons of time!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I'm finishing up a G3x install that was 100% purchased from Stein. I also had them build the harness which was the best money spent in my opinion. Eighty percent of the time Stein himself answers the phone and he has been super helpful. The other 20% of the time Tim 1 or Tim 2 answer and they too know their stuff. I wish every business was ran like Stein runs his.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Stein has a wonderful reputation, and I'm sure he provides an excellent service. However, if, like me, you cringe at spending >$2k on wiring harnesses and would rather invest the time, it's not really that hard. It's just a matter of connecting the pins on one box to the pins on another. All the connections are detailed in the installation manuals and the parts are readily available.

I posted a tutorial on making a harness cable for a Dynon SkyView system here, and the Garmin cables will be very similar. Like the rest of the project, it's just a matter of buying some new and unfamiliar tools and learning some new and unfamiliar skills.

The hardest part is deciding what your time is worth. If you can pick up a shift or work overtime and make the cost of Stein-made harnesses in less time than you can build them yourself, then it makes sense to buy them. If not, or you just want to learn how it's done, then dig in.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I think wiring the plane was what I enjoyed the most of the build. Up to that point nothing fit, so it was a nice break to do something that the plane didn't seem to want to fight you on.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Stein is awesome! I would highly recommend purchasing from them. When I had questions on my install I called stein, even though I didn’t buy from them, and they where very helpful. I was calling to ask about putting in a resistor for rpm signal and they informed me they make a pcb board that is easier to wire in. I would buy from them and get the wiring diagram as it would save tons of time!
    Yes, I would agree. The customer service I have received up to this point has been great. I plan on ordering the rest of my avionics kit through them as funds become available.

Another company I have been happy with has been Whirlwind. I bought a used prop and called them up looking for an instruction manual. The lady looked up the information sent me the instructions, data sheets, and an owner registration card.