Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pressure Sensor

Default Fuel Pressure Sensor

Just wondering how useful a Skyview panel readout of fuel pressure is? The Dynon EMS kit for Rotax 912 comes with a fuel pressure sensor. The reason I am asking is its kind of a pain to mount the sensor. It should be mounted on the firewall, which means I must run a small fuel hose to it from the fuel pressure port (M10) on the Rotax fuel manifold. Then to be consistent with my other fuel hoses it should be firesleeved. A lot of fuss and extra hoses for what benefit? Just looking for opinions. I realize a gauge for ground maintenance is essential, but in-flight monitoring?

Jim

Default Re: Fuel Pressure Sensor

Why does it have to be mounted on the firewall? I've got mine inline and so far so good. Like this...

http://www.jegs.com/p/B-B/B-B-Fuel-P...78771/10002/-1

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

The dynon fuel flow sensor I have is mounted inline as well. fuel line comes from firewall to fuel flow sensor then fuel filter then to the rotax mechanical fuel pump, my setup does not involve an over pressure line, i just adjust the flow reading with the K factor in the dynon itself. I will add I have fuel filters before the header tank so fuel is filtered before going thru the sensor. everything is firesleeved.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I am not sure of the value and I have had two sender units fail as I did not have them mounted back on the firewall. I moved the sender to the FW and have not had any problems since. Other than just one more number in the green it may give me early warning of a restriction in the fuel lines or pump failure. When the second unit failed I though about just leaving it out and would have been happy with that also.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dynon strongly recommends NOT mounting it on the engine, as verified by Dorsal.
    Has anyone gotten any useful early warning from it in flight?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post

Jim
    I would certainly agree about not mounting it ON the engine, however, I wouldn't call an inline fitting on a flexible fuel hose several feet before the engine as being mounted"on the engine". Perhaps they are more concerned with manifold blocks attached to hard fuel lines that are then attached to the carbs.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post

Jim
    If I didn't have one, I would not rush out and put one in . It is another gauge of what is going on with the engine. No it has not given me any early warning,... I have been trouble free for 289 hrs ( knock on wood) with the (first) sensor mounted inline.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I think there may be some confusion on fittings vs senders/sensors. Senders can be susceptible to damage from excess vibration, fittings don't care.

Kmach, are you talking about a fuel pressure sensor or flow meter?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    I think there may be some confusion on fittings vs senders/sensors. Senders can be susceptible to damage from excess vibration, fittings don't care.

Kmach, are you talking about a fuel pressure sensor or flow meter?
    No confusion. I was implying that the sensor would be directly attached to whatever fitting was used and in the case of a flexible line with an inline fitting the vibrations would not be a problem. Where as if a sensor is directly attached to a hard line or manifold directly on the engine obviously it will transmit all vibration.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 09-28-2012 at 06:10 PM.

I mounted both my fuel pressure and fuel flow sensors inline with the fuel hoses. Both are supported only by the hoses which isolates vibration. Both are going strong after 300+ hours...