Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 ULS configuration

Default 912 ULS configuration

Hello, I would appreciate any feedback on the setup of a 912 ULS in a KitFox II for an upcoming pre-purchase examination. I?ve noticed that the oil tank is positioned quite high. Is this a standard arrangement for a KitFox?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 912 ULS configuration

That is normal - it also looks like it has a new exhaust (close to $3K) and the updated motor mount ($~1200)

There is a bit of an issue with the tank being that high, (higher than Rotax recommends in that oil from the tank can flow into the crankcase after sitting for a while) But that is where the tank ends up in the early Kitfoxes. Model 5 and later mount down on the side and lower I believe. Good reason to "burp" the oil tank before startup if it's sat more than a day or two to push the oil back into the oil tank. I did lower my oil tank on both Kitfox 4s I've done buy making a box in the firewall. A tight fit but it works. Also gives a bit more room at the back of the engine. Another bonus is I can run with a smooth cowl and have a far better view over the cowl. It's about 6" lower than the round cowl. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMarkota View Post
    That is normal - it also looks like it has a new exhaust (close to $3K) and the updated motor mount ($~1200)
    Yes, it was installed as a zero time (and that definition varies a lot, meaning different things to different people) upgrade.