I had bought a used VSI a couple of years ago during my build phase but didn't get to test it until recently after my first flight. In recent flight testing it wasn't working and I thought it must be defective, so I bought a new one from ACS. The new one is a Falcon brand 2kft range in 2 1/8" dia that has one port in the rear for the static line only. During my first flight with the new VSI I didn't have it hooked up to the static line coming from the pitot tube on the wing, just open to the cockpit ambient. In that config it didn't seem like it was working so on the next flight I hooked it up to the static line and while I'm climbing it indicates down and when in level flight it reads down as well but to a lesser degree. During decent it goes back to around zero, where it reads while I'm on the ground. All my instruments are round steam gauges. The pitot tube that I have is pictured below and appears to be oriented straight into the airstream. I checked the line connections in the wing and they appear to be connected properly. At the back of the VSI gauge the static line to it is Tee'd off the static line for the adjacent ASI and altimeter, both of which appears to be reading and functioning fine. Has anyone out there ever had a similar issue and fixed it somehow?

IMG_8527.jpg