During a recent disassembly of the Bing 64 carbs on my 912ULS I was installing a carb service pack (level 3) changing out all the old o'rings and float needle valves and somewhere along the line I lost the return springs on the throttle and choke levers. I hate it when I lose these little items along the way but it got me thinking about alternative possibilities. The throttle springs were the lighter force ones that Kitfox sells that have little to no rpm creep when idling (unlike the stock Rotax return springs). I saw some discussion on this forum from the 2008-2009 time frame about a number of 912 owners that have just eliminated these throttle return springs all together. I have the McFarland friction lock throttle cable installed (not a vernier type) and it has a multi-stranded cable (not a single stiff wire type) connected to each carb. I recognize that if I eliminate the throttle return springs that there is a remote chance that the engine would not increase its rpm if the cable ever broke, but I'm thinking this is so remote as to not be an issue to lose sleep over.

Question 1: I'm curious as to the latest thinking and current experience without these throttle return springs. If there is a substantial reason to have these return springs I'll certainly buy and install some new ones but eliminating them does make some sense.

There was also some discussion in past forum entries about some type of gizmo where you can adjust the carb sync from the cockpit by turning a knob of some type that attached somehow to one of the throttle cable adjusters. I had the impression that this gizmo may only be applicable to lever style throttle assemblies but wondered if such a thing might also exist for my McFarland type throttle cable? Carb sync isn't that difficult but if it could be done while in the cockpit that would be very slick, especially while the engine is running.

Question 2: Does anyone know if an in-the-cockpit carb sync device exits that is compatible with a McFarland type friction lock throttle cable?

I have a pull to choke knob next to my throttle knob and I have been unhappy with the force needed to engage it because of the strong Rotax choke return springs. The small round choke knob requires a firm grip and a lot of force to pull and engage the choke. It all works as it should and I like the positive choke return when I let go of the choke but I'm tempted to experiment with some lighter return springs to make it easier to engage the choke.

Question 3: Has anyone found a choke mechanism and/or a non-standard (non-Rotax) choke return spring that works with less brute force to engage it?