I just want to bump this thread because it is so useful. I just ordered all the tools and a boat load of wire using the links Eric provided.

I'm also here to ask a follow on question. When I bought my brand M avionics I got their wiring harnesses. All (most anyway) of my sub D connectors are already done. In come cases there is enough wire that I can connect the various contraptions together directly but in others I will need to butt splice wires and put heat shrink over the top of them. I did plenty of that in my previous installations so I'm comfortable with the work.

After placing my orders I realized that I didn't see butt connectors mentioned. A google search produced the following hit:
wow that's a long link
Are these up to the task or do I need to go somewhere else? They look identical to the ones I used but I don't know crap when it comes to this stuff.

I also just realized that I'll have a bunch of terminals to crimp and I didn't see that tool on the list. The one I borrowed when I was doing supervised work was a fancy ratcheting tool that wouldn't let go until you had crimped the terminal sufficiently. I'd like something like that if you have any suggestions.