Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

[QUOTE=Geek;108771]After fitting the turtle deck as a single piece on the fuselage and locating the flaperon feed thru holes, I marked out the hinge location and made the required cuts. Sanded the turtle deck edges smooth so there are no sharp edges anywhere on the deck. I had read that actually inserting the turtle deck into the hinge was a royal pain and as promised, it started out that way. My father's words came to me while fighting with the hinge; "A man cannot have enough clamps." So I laid two clamps (in the pic) down on the flat surface lengthwise under the turtle deck and then clamped a couple 2x4s over the top. The 2x4s were not clamped to the turtle deck anywhere but set at a level so that the deck could slide underneath them but kept the deck from flexing up and the hinge from buckling. Slowly added pressure to squeeze the deck with the lower clamps and the deck is now inserted into the hinge all the way.

I wish you would have done this before I did mine. Haha
    I also used 2 angle pieces on the hinge to stiffen it but it still shakes like crazy.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    ...........I also used 2 angle pieces on the hinge to stiffen it but it still shakes like crazy.
    Well so much for that good idea working out Harlan. I had such great hopes......... Dang it.

Received my new, longer bolts and was able to install and wire in my taxi lights. Covered my glare shield and installed the LED lights I am using to 'flood' the panel should I need it. Have to wait a couple days for the adhesive on the LED strips to totally cure before I can finish fitting the glare shield. Installed the wind screen completely (i.e. all the top, back and front screws). In looking at the screws on the side-front of the wind screen, I thought it might be better to make a long piece with plate nuts to do that attachment. That way, instead of the individual pressure points of the individual screw, washer and nut running down the screen, it would be a more even pressured attachment. Built them up, painted them flat back (no reflection) and installed them. Made that a really easy install and kept my ham hands from dropping the nuts and washers inside the cockpit.

Taxi Light 5.JPGGlare shield 5.JPGGlare Shield Light.JPGWindscreen Top.JPGWindshield Attach1.JPGWindshield Attach4.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Those strips are a great idea. What did you cover your glare shield with?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

It's a faux leather (kinda like Naugahyde but much softer and more resistant to elements) used in covering high end boat seats. It's called "Ultralether" and got it from a company called Sailrite. Here's a link to the material: https://www.sailrite.com/Ultraleathe...-54-Raven-Wing . Really nice stuff, takes sun well and easy to dust off (as in pretty smooth). I know many have used suede but thought that would hold dust after time. Here's a pic (albeit not great) of what the surface looks like.

Skin.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Ah, familiar with Sailrite from a previous lifetime, thanks. Boats get hammered by UV so that might be a good choice.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Gary, I have mixed feelings about those metal strips you added to the windshield side pillars. I agree they may do a good job of spreading out the bolt loads, but I am also wondering if they might cause that side pillar edge of the plexiglass to hold tighter to the frame and not let it move/slip properly during extremes of temperature, which could itself cause cracking. Several places in the build manual for installation of the windshield we are warned to use oversize holes and not to tighten the bolts much beyond hand tight so as to allow for a significant amount of thermal expansion/contraction. If these rules are followed, I doubt very much that cracking will occur at the side pillar bolt holes, or anywhere else. All the plexi cracking I have heard of occurred during installation, rather than afterwards. Interesting and creative idea, but I personally would leave well enough alone with the proven method.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Appreciate the input Jim and agree that the possibility may exist. I purposely did not tighten down the screws on my pillars anymore than just snug for that thermal expansion possibility. Hopefully enough that it allows the movement but provides the consistent support.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Installed my prop and set the pitch to 19.6 degrees for an initial look. Worked on getting the flaperons set up properly for the correct deflections. Not sure I was happy with the end result so may go back and check them again. Something there just doesn't seem right. Installed the sills on the door frames so now they are permanently attached. Last but certainly not least, I started the engine for it's first run up. Tied it to my tractor just in case but did let off the brakes to take the slack out of the rope. (The blanket over the windscreen is just to keep the sun from cooking the plastic coating that covers it. Removed it for the engine turn) All the pressures were good, no leaks and it appears my static RPM at full throttle was around 5100 so I'll have to do a little pitch adjustment and give it another go.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VjYPY7K0_kk

Prop.JPGFlaperon Adjust1.JPGSills.JPGStart 1.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Huge milestone!
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I had to do many adjustments to get my flaperons dialed in to what the book calls for so your right on track Gary.
    No leaks! Woot! It's a good day. Congratz! Your Plane is looking great!

What static rpm are you looking for?
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint