Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Worst thing I have heard of is one guy had his cell phone sucked out when a door flew open, not to mention any loose papers, charts, checklists, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    … “Have also run into a bit of an issue with the cowling fasteners. I have had four of them where the cross pin falls out (which means I lose my retaining washer as well).“…

l haven’t ever seen this happen with genuine CAMLOC fasteners, & I’ve installed hundreds of them in 40+ years. That being said, I have a few of the Skybolt brand on my Kitfox and they have been fine, so far. Maybe they had a batch of defective ones? The little pins are staked on both sides of the hole for retention. In these pictures you can see that the “staking” is a little more prominent on the CAMLOC unit.

John, Do you have any pics of Skybolt camlocs installed? I was thinking about using them for my oil door but they just stick out too much....
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

Quote Originally Posted by VictorV View Post
    John, Do you have any pics of Skybolt camlocs installed? I was thinking about using them for my oil door but they just stick out too much....
    Victor,

Here are a couple of pictures of the Skybolt fasteners I used on the trailing edge of my turtledeck. I used the standard 4000 series winged Camlocs on the sides of the folding section of the turtledeck.

IMG_2264.jpg IMG_2258.jpg

Sorry for sticking this in your build thread, Gary.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Sorry for sticking this in your build thread, Gary.
    Yeah I was pretty upset John. Stayed awake all night grousing about it. Don't think I'll ever get over it. Oh.......wait......dang. Over it.

No worries. It was to help a builder so worth it.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

While we are on the subject of camlocks.

My kit came with winged camlocks for all the positions on the turtledeck.

I realized that when I got my official Kitfox cabin cover (a really nice item for underwing camping out in the boondocks) that the winged camlocks are not compatible with the cabin cover so switched all over to phillips head camlocks which create no problems with the cabin cover.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Happy New Year all! The EAA Builder's Log notified me that it has been 30 days since I have posted on progress. The reason is simple - still waiting on the FAA registration so that I can apply for the airworthiness certificate. (Learn from my mistake of waiting too long. Once you have a N Number picked out (and possibly reserved), submit your registration. It'll come about the time you're ready and you won't have to wait for it before you can request your air worthiness inspection) I am playing with possible color schemes that I could use on the fuselage as well as thinking I might add the yaw dampener to my autopilot (three axis). But the bottom line is that the plane is ready - just sitting in Winter storage in the shop.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Happy New Year everyone, and fly safe x

Happy New Year Geek! All the best!

Glad you're almost to the finish line! Looks like were both going to wait for a while to get squared away!

I'm in a holding pattern as well. The CFIs never materialized at my bud Chase's place, so I had to hunt down another willing to give instruction in my plane. Funny how many cfi's will not go near an experimental aircraft. My new CFI is chomping at the bit to get qualified in the Kitfox, I just have to wait another 1-2 months for the stars to align and his schedule to clear. Sigh...

I'm thinking about that yaw dampener as well after reading Dustin's feedback on his experience with it. The Kitfox retro kit seems reasonable enough though I see that the Garmin servos have increased in price since my build, as well as everything else on the planet! I have to remove my old servos as well and send them in for the upgrade but have another 4 + years to do it so that's not too big of a deal. It will be a PITA to get them out and retro fit a new yaw servo.

Contorting in and around the inside of the kitfox is not my idea of fun!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Happy New Year Geek! All the best!

Glad you're almost to the finish line! Looks like were both going to wait for a while to get squared away!
    Thanks Brett!! Best of the new year to you and the wife for sure. I feel like I have built this plane using the best of Naval traditions - hurry up and wait. Ah well. After this long of dealing with the Canoe Club we should be pretty good it this by now.

I did the swap on my servos back when the notice came out. Probably a mistake but wanted it done but you are correct sir; it was a PITA to go in and pull them. I ordered the YD kit from Kitfox without the servo so i can get it installed and ready to go but can wait till inspections and stuff are done before I actually do the deed.

Sorry to hear about your CFI issues. I think when it comes to us having to wait that you have the harder job of it. You've gotten to fly yours so you know exactly what you're missing. I found a local guy who comes very highly recommended to give me my tailwheel in a Luscombe. But until about 30 minutes ago, we have been pretty much less than 100 and 1/8. He is trying to get a couple BFRs and another tailwheel done before he takes me on and WX has been his hold up. He is eyeballing my Kitfox for sure and has offered to "help shake her out". We'll see.
    Cheers,
    Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

So while I am waiting on the FAA, I decided to add in the yaw dampener to my autopilot. Talked to Brandon about this and he compares having it in the plane to having heated seats in your car; once you have them, you don't not want to have them. I bought the kit sans servo to get things set up and tied into my aircraft wiring. Built up the mounting plate by installing the plate nuts and built up the cable that will run from my pitch servo to the yaw servo. Will actually do the wiring install after my inspection and buy the servo then.

Yaw Damp 1.JPGYaw Damp 2.JPGYaw Damp 3.JPGYaw Damp 4.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG