Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Got my glass ordered from Kitfox and expected it to take a bit before I received it. Only took a week and a half from when I ordered it to when I got it. So it was time to take the cracked glass off the door frame and that turned out to have a low fun quotient. That VHB tape really sticks. Used .030 safety wire to cut through the tape between the frame and the glass. That part was pretty easy. Removing the remaining tape from the frame was the hard part. Rubbed the old mastic really hard with my thumbs and for the most part, it peeled off the frame. Where it didn't, I used acetone but still not a walk in the park. So now I am ready to fit the new glass to the door frame and the fuselage opening. Think it will be easier to do for the third time?

Door Frame 1.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Glass arrived really quick which I guess kinda surprised me. So I started in on it. Fitting this was a bit different than doing it from scratch in that a lot of the holes in the frame were already drilled so I had to get those set and then fit the window onto the door frame. But following the "measure three times, cut once" rule I was able to get the glass attached to the frame and then get it fit into the door jamb. It's hung so when I get back from our Thanksgiving trip to the kid's house, I can start on the edge finishing and installing the door latch system.

R Door Repair 1.JPGR Door Repair 2.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Door repair is complete. Got the latch assembly installed along with the edge P gasket. The latch locks and opens smoothly so I won't be trying to beat on it like I did when I got into this position. Latch handle cutout has nice rounded internal corners and is sanded smooth like the outer edge of the door. And the good news is that I got my N Number in the mail and was able to send in the registration. Once that gets dialed in, I can actually tell the DAR that I am good to inspect. Yahoo!!!

R Door Repair 3.JPGR Door Repair 4.JPGR Door Repair 5.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Oh happy day! You’re gettin’ close now Gary… so good to see!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John. Been a great experience but made that way by guys like you who were willing to share your knowledge.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Gary,

Progress being made! Good to hear.

I think that you will appreciate the double latch pin lock on your doors. I have that on our early S7. I find it keeps the vibration/flexing to a minimum.

A number of aircraft were supplied with the single latch on the bottom but the double is far more secure (and keeps the pneumonia holes to a minimum.) I had some friends with IVs and a single bottom latch - the door frame was a bit different too. First flight routine was close the doors, take off, see how your startle response is when the doors fly open, go back, close doors, repeat a couple times till you get the startle thing under control.Then some modifications proceeded.

Fly well
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I agree Dave. When I ordered my kit, the dual pin just appealed to my sense of solid operation. Once I got them installed, I thought they had a bit of 'cool' to them. I do think that the newer latches and mods to crack the door open in the summer months has greatly improved over the last few years. A door popping open would certainly get your attention if you weren't ready for it.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    A door popping open would certainly get your attention if you weren't ready for it.
    Gary
    Eh, what's the worst that could happen?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Eh, what's the worst that could happen?
    Yeah. We asked this guy the same question. Can't print the answer he gave when he found himself in the Convertible Turkey.

Convertible Turkey.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I have the aftermarket aluminum combo single door latch that allows you to vent the cabin a bit in the summer heat. It does a nice job of that, and so far, they secure the bubble doors just fine.
    Didn't know the Tomcat came in a convertible model! A bit drafty at speed no doubt!
    Hard to explain to the MO where the windscreen went but hey, makes for a good "there I was" tale at the watering hole!

Good to hear the door is completed and you have your N number as well. That's great news!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint