Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Thanks Harlan. Going to be interesting to hear what the company has to say.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Ive had that happen to one of my fasteners. I used a heavy safety wire replacement and made it work.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. I got hold of Skybolt to ask them what they thought. They sent me a label to ship them the ones that failed back to them and shipped me replacements along with the capture washers as well. Pretty easy company to work with. Will see if I have any more fasteners that give up.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

… “Have also run into a bit of an issue with the cowling fasteners. I have had four of them where the cross pin falls out (which means I lose my retaining washer as well).“…

l haven’t ever seen this happen with genuine CAMLOC fasteners, & I’ve installed hundreds of them in 40+ years. That being said, I have a few of the Skybolt brand on my Kitfox and they have been fine, so far. Maybe they had a batch of defective ones? The little pins are staked on both sides of the hole for retention. In these pictures you can see that the “staking” is a little more prominent on the CAMLOC unit.

Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    More little stuff. Installed my forward looking camera on my cowling. Hooked it up and it appears to be working as advertised. I didn't take a cool selfie like Harlan did with his camera cause I didn't want to break it before I got to use it for real. So I settled for the view out my shop. Have also run into a bit of an issue with the cowling fasteners. I have had four of them where the cross pin falls out (which means I lose my retaining washer as well). Gone through all the fasteners on the cowlings and found a couple more where the pin will slide back and forth but doesn't fall out. Yet. My fasteners are not hard to set when installing the cowling so I don't think I am putting them under any real stress. Anyone run into this? Am I doing something wrong? Bad fastener batch? Thoughts?

Attachment 33061Attachment 33062Attachment 33063Attachment 33064Attachment 33065
    Nice camera mount! My 2nd chi-com camera bricked, so I have no camera atm. Tbh - After spending some time taxing about the ramp, I find I really don't need it. Eyes outside the cockpit! - says my CFI. Lol.
    I have a lot of the same fasteners and never had the issues you're having. Skybolt is a good Co. Maybe it was a bad lot. Hope they take care of you.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    ........I have a lot of the same fasteners and never had the issues you're having. Skybolt is a good Co. Maybe it was a bad lot. Hope they take care of you.
    Skybolt was great Brett. They sent a return label immediately and send me the replacement fasteners 2nd day Air. You can't ask for more I don't think. Hope my camera lasts longer than yours did eh?

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Started on my interior by doing the skin covering on the sides and center of the seat pan. If you are familiar with this step, you will notice that I did not install the skin covering along the front of the seat. With the seat pan installed, the floor carpeting extends up and over that overhanging lip on the seat. A length of the fastening strip for the carpet attaches to that lip and it will adhere to the fiberglass of the lip better than the skin material. Once the carpet and seats are fully installed, you never see that part. Installed the carpet on to the floorboards and and seat pan. As the instructions suggested, used zip ties to help hold the strips to the boards. Carpet and seats are now fully installed.

Seat 1.JPGSeat 3.JPGFloors 1.JPGInterior 1.JPGInterior 2.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Looks sweet Gary. It's really coming together nicely!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Looks sweet Gary. It's really coming together nicely!
    Thanks Brett. Hopefully you're getting more flying with that beauty of yours.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

AANNNDDD a Hurts Donut (Say it and listen to yourself if you don't get it.)

Worked on getting one of my door latches to fit/close a little better. It was pretty tight and harder to close than the other one. Was making progress on it and then this........

Window Crack.JPG

Hello Heather? I need to place an order.......... Dang it!!
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG