Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Huge milestone!
    Agree Alex. It wasn't lost on me that if I untied from the tractor and released the brakes, it would most likely fly. Not pretty but fly. Lots of stuff still to do but they all seem small in comparison. Looking forward to you starting your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    I had to do many adjustments to get my flaperons dialed in to what the book calls for so your right on track Gary.
    No leaks! Woot! It's a good day. Congratz! Your Plane is looking great!

What static rpm are you looking for?
    Thanks Brett. Glad to hear I am not the only one who is going back multiple times on the flaperons. Not sure what I don't like yet but I still have that feeling which over the years I have learned to trust so back I go. Taking a page from your book and doing stuff with the discretes on the Garmin. I have the Earth X battery and am displaying the status output the battery provides on the PFD and a couple other things I would like to see. As for static RPM I am thinking around 52 to 5300 to start and see where that gets me at the target 5800 WOT on climb out and 5500 cruise. Don't want to over-pitch and load the engine down but at the same time not leave any power on the table. From what I read, the 912 is built to cruise at 53 to 5500 all day so if I showed up to the party at 5450 or so when operating at say 6Kft, I would probably think I was there. Any suggestions welcomed on this one.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I fought the flaperons too. Eventually just got the numbers as close as possible and confirmed with Brandon at the factory that this was fine. I’d have to look in my notes to see how far off I was but it was only slightly “out of tolerance”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Flaperons are a set to about what the book says item.......
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

[QUOTE=Benbell4140;109124]I fought the flaperons too. Eventually just got the numbers as close as possible and confirmed with Brandon at the factory that this was fine. I’d have to look in my notes to see how far off I was but it was only slightly “out of tolerance”

Thanks guys..... Tomorrow they are on the list of things to look at and dial in. Appreciate the inputs that "Kentucky Windage" is acceptable in dialing them in.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Have wrestled with how to mount the sensors for the DynaVibe. Thinking thru things like the effects that the alternator pulley and alternator might have on balancing or taking the alternator off and doing the balance. Got to say I got some good input from Delta Whiskey that helped me make sense of stuff. So armed with that, I came up with this solution. The instructions say to mount the transducer as far forward and center as possible on the engine and this fits the bill. Built the side brackets out of doubled .06 aluminum and then riveted them together so they hold the quarter inch plate on the top nice and sturdy. This should work out I think. Appreciate all the help I got with this so I can move ahead now that I've started the engine and all.

Gary

Dynavibe Bracket 6.JPGDynavibe Bracket 1.JPGDynavibe Bracket 2.JPGDynavibe Bracket 4.JPGDynavibe Bracket 5.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Your Dynavibe mt. is looking mighty stout! Should get some good readings.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Your Dynavibe mt. is looking mighty stout! Should get some good readings.
    From your lips to God's ears Brett. Stout was what I was looking for when building it that's for certain. Finally figured out what was bothering me about my flaperon set up; the deflection numbers I was getting kept changing. I went back again only this time I wrote down all the numbers I was setting to and indeed, they were changing. I ran a set of numbers and then ran them again without doing anything and they would change. Changed as in 4 and 5 degrees. Checked the level I was using with another one and they both matched. Turns out I had not riveted the control arms to the flaperon and was just holding them in place with cleacos. Realized that while the clecos were keeping the holes aligned like they were supposed to, they were letting the joint flex under load and that was my issue. Got them riveted and dialed in the numbers. Ran them a couple times and they were within a degree of each other.

On to Props. I have sent Whirlwind an email about tip tracking. Measured mine and if you set up one as the base measurement, then one blade is 1/8" inside the base and the other blade is 3/16" outside. Not sure that's right but there isn't anything I saw in the mounting/setting the pitch instructions that talked to tracking. Guess I'll find out if they aren't all at OSH.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Have been working on getting my PFD dialed in. Lots of reading and programming so far. Got my engine instruments all dialed in and displaying (the FADEC on the 912is provides quite the selection of stuff to monitor) Did an engine turn to check my pitch and it still needs to come down some I think but at the same time, got the vibration testing done for the AHARS. So with all the pics of "Here's where I flew today........" I thought I would throw one in of "Here's where I worked on my plane today." This is where I did the compass alignment for the Magnetometer and it was a really nice day to do it. Tomorrow I will change the pitch and if it looks good, I'll probably run through a couple prop balance runs to see how it looks. Also attached my horiz stab brace covers so I am literally starting to do the little things that were fabricated a while back and stored. Nice to get them on the plane.

Horiz Cover.JPGComnpass Rose.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Looking great Gary. I just realized that picture wasn't taken at your house. Did you borrow a neighbor's flat spot or did you move your project?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Looking great Gary. I just realized that picture wasn't taken at your house. Did you borrow a neighbor's flat spot or did you move your project?
    Good eye. Yes my neighbor graciously not only let me use his lawn (literally 3 acres worth) to do engine turns on but also let me keep the plane in his shop. Much easier than loading it on a trailer every time I want to do something and taking it over there. His shop also has a 10' wide door which is much easier to get the 8'6" plane into than my 9' shop doors. Just about done with needing his area but really nice of him. Funny how it is so much easier to level the plane to do calibrations and such on an asphalt drive than on my rock one.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG