Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Never liked the air filter directly connected to the engine taking in hot air inside the cowling. Against all my motorhead experience. When Kitfox introduced the 915is into its stable of engines, they came up with an external intake system to route outside air into the engine. Saw that and ordered one from Kitfox since the 912is uses the same intake system. Heather got it sent out and I now have it installed. Much better in my mind than the inside cowling air and it gives the air sensor for the Rotax injection a great place to be mounted (backside of the air box). (And yes Alex, I painted the box. As you probably well know, aluminum and carbon fiber do NOT get along well. So between the aluminum parts and the box itself, I should be OK)

Intake 1.JPGIntake 2.JPGIntake 3.JPGIntake 4.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Installed the fuel gauge into the left wing and finished up connecting the fuel lines so the left wing is now plumbed. Was real happy to get my intake installed on the lower cowling and thought it was a thing of beauty. Or not. I screwed up. The instructions say to check the fit before mounting the intake to the cowling and while I did make sure the cowling fit with the intake taped at the spot outlined in the manual, I guess I didn't really take a good look other than to see that it fit. While doing something else, I looked down and was shocked to see that the intake was literally a little less than a quarter inch from the valve cover of the engine. I am certain that engine will flex the motor mounts a bit (Kitfox calls for a half inch of clearance between the exhaust pipe and the cowling due to that). The intake needed to be mounted about 1 inch back from where the instructions indicated. I had to modify my intake with a bit of a cutout to give me my half inch of clearance. The takeaway here is when you check for clearances, do a complete check cause just because it fits doesn't mean it's going to work. The weather started warming up so I thought I would get a little painting done before pollen and bugs make painting outside totally impossible. Repurposed the wing rotisserie to support the wing strut while painting.

Strut 1.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I am certain that engine will flex the motor mounts a bit (Kitfox calls for a half inch of clearance between the exhaust pipe and the cowling due to that)
    That is a concern Gary. However, the muffler stinger is further from the center of rotation than the valve cover, reducing the amount of clearance needed.

I love your glass work. HAHAHA!!!

But seriously. Your progress looks great. Keep plugging away.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Nice catch Gary. These things happen and it's how you deal with it that counts. Looks 1st rate.
    Nice strut rotisserie!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    ..........I love your glass work. HAHAHA!!!..........
    THE only thing I hate more than working with fiberglass is cutting carbon fiber. It's just nasty in my book. I formed a piece of aluminum (with multiple coats of paint to protect it from the carbon fiber) to Hysol into place just cause I hate it so. WhenI was done, thought I might have gotten a Coke can and used that in there instead but that would have been just a hair light in gauge. It doesn't look bad from the outside looking in but certainly was unhappy with myself for such a dunderhead move.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

That was my observation... and the motivation of posting after seeing the Hysol, that modification will not be seen on the exterior is a good thing ... and I agree with the unpleasantness of working with composite. However, there is no way to replicate the results with aluminum. (My skills with an English wheel are non existent)

I am currently working on the cabin vents NACA ducts. Cowl is coming soon.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

So true. The people I have met with skills on the 'Wheel' are few and far between. If I used fingers to count I would have many left over. Have fun with those vents. They are just getting you ready for the lower cowling and you too will have the opportunity to put in that intake and avoid my mistake. Glad you and Victor are making progress.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Finished up painting the flaperons this morning. Pretty happy with the way they came out given that I am painting outside. Trying to get painting done before the pollen starts falling from the pine trees. Think I might have only a couple more days and then I'll have to hold short for a bit on paint. While waiting for flash coats and final coats to dry, I did the safety wire on the exhaust springs so that when (not if from what I understand) they break, they don't just fall out the back of the cowling and on to the runway/taxiway or even drop them while flying. Ran a couple beads of high temp RTV on all the springs as well as I understand this dampens the vibration of the springs and hopefully promotes a little longer life. Also finished off the outside of the intake Naca so that debacle is complete now.

Flaperon Paint.JPGExhaust Springs.JPGIntake Mod Outside.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

"While waiting for flash coats and final coats to dry, I did the safety wire on the exhaust springs so that when (not if from what I understand) they break, they don't just fall out the back of the cowling and on to the runway/taxiway or even drop them while flying. Ran a couple beads of high temp RTV on all the springs as well as I understand this dampens the vibration of the springs and hopefully promotes a little longer life."

Glad to see your painting skills coming online and with no painting booth! Some of us special cases just have to tempt fate!

I remember something about exhaust springs from a post long ago and I have overlooked it.
    Sounds like the prudent thing to do Gary, Thanks!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Been here for years. How I have not come across that safety wire fix is beyond me. Ive lost two springs in the past 4 years. One onto the ground, one other?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X