Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Glad you found the issue with your engine Gary. I knew it wouldn't set you back to long!
    Funny how we know so much about trons and we can still get some things wrong! It's the same issue as I have... ME! Lol.

To be fair, as we get used to the software and work through the various squawks, the more it all makes sense, and it is getting easier to find the problem without a call to the Garmin/Rotax tech wizards.

This forum continues to be a wealth of information, and the members are real lifesavers when we are hitting the wall they have already climbed over.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Doing some small stuff while awaiting parts and getting some 'honey do' off my list. Finished off the oil level access door on the upper cowling with the Dzus fasteners. Decided that I wanted to improve the seal around the cooling radiators so I added a seal strip around them. (Sorry pic #3 is upside down) I have read that some people put a wooden spacer around the flaperon control rod to protect it should the fiberglass seat collapse. Haven't actually heard of this happening but thought it would be a good insurance step so I made and installed a couple spacers.

Cowl Door 12.JPGNaca Duct Seal 2.JPGNaca Duct Seal 3.JPGSeat Brace.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Seals and oil door look great Gary. The seals are something I haven't thought about tbh.

I still have to add my wooden spacers, thanks for the reminder!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

I've read about some seat collapse scenarios. Several things might have contributed to those stories. On the series 5 the seat pan is secured to the cross tubes (top and bottom) with slots and zip ties, which can stretch/break over time. Maybe you trim off too much along those edges trying to make it look nice. Maybe the flight crew is more graviationally challenged than a standard FAA 170 lb pilot.

Those storage compartments under the seat used to be optional. They not only stiffen up the seat pan, the help support the pan if it should flex further than it is supposed to.

Now the fuselage comes with those steel tabs on the top/bottom tubes, and you use mechanical fasteners. Don't skip out on the fasteners and inspect your seat pan occasionally to make sure cracks aren't forming between the fastener holes and the edge of the seat pan. The extra blocking probably isn't required but it certainly doesn't hurt.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Back in the olden days when I was building my Series 5 , there where several reports of seat pan failures and a few wrecks , and that got my attention in a hurry. I had a hard time imagining how the Skystar folks thought zipties where a good idea to hold such a critical component in place (or not). I took the belt and suspenders approach and used high quality rubber cushioned SS hose clamps in place of the zips, added aditional layers of reinforcing fiberglass in the mount critical areas and used old seat belts under the seatpan and mounted to the front and back support tubes as a last save. Trust me , i've tested the integrity of my work over the years with some dynamic arrivals and all is good 1000 hrs later. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    .......... Maybe the flight crew is more graviationally challenged than a standard FAA 170 lb pilot.
    Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    ..........Trust me , i've tested the integrity of my work over the years with some dynamic arrivals and all is good 1000 hrs later. Bruce N199CL
    So first off - you two are guilty of some classic quotes. I got a good chuckle out of both of these. Thanks. As for the braces, I too had read some stories about the seat pan but think when I had read them, wasn't smart enough (read - the start of my 18 month waiting period after ordering my kit) to know the difference between a 4, 5 or 7. Probably still can't quote confidently about the differences. But I did make notes back then on things I wanted to make sure I did with mine and those braces were there.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

You know we all expect you to paint those to perfectly match the fuselage tubing, right? Maybe some superfill to smooth them out?

Surely you wouldn't leave those hideous bare wood blocks there after the whole world has seen them.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I'll get a man right on it. heh heh I expect another video from you here shortly showing all your progress Alex!!! You should be all rested after your vacation!
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    You know we all expect you to paint those to perfectly match the fuselage tubing, right?...........
    Put in the spacers I needed between the boot cowl and the foot wells of the firewall. Should allow the Dzus fasteners to pull the cowl up nice and tight. And just for you Alex, I painted them (after giving them a solid coat of lacquer!!

Gary

Boot Cowl Spacers.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

We expect nothing less from you Gary. Keep it up.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII