That is a good point. And you're correct, most life insurance policies exclude part 91 flying and it pays to read the policy. My dad was not a fan of me learning to fly and used that point to argue that GA flying is not as safe as we would all like to think.

My kids are grown, my significant other can support herself and my affairs are in order. I work for an airplane company and carry a pretty good chunk of term life which will all go to my kids. My policy does not exclude flying. As a bonus (if there could be a bonus in dying) my payout doubles if I die on company property and triples if I die while traveling on company business. So here's to hoping, am I right? Assuming I make it to retirement before reaching room temperature my kids will have to pick through my limited assets, but at least I won't owe anything.

Now for the good news

I just got my quote back from my insurance broker. Using an $80k hull value my quote while my plane is under construction is $480/year. Once completed my rate is $1950/year. Not the sticker shock I was expecting. I love that lady more every time she quotes my policy.