Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fueling Equipment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fueling Equipment

I try to run mostly Mogas in my 912uls, but there is only one airport in Oregon that has it, so most of the time I have to get my 92 Clear Mogas from auto service stations, which are not hard to find. I have been using 5 gal cans, but its been kind of a pain to pour in 2-4 cans to fill up. I recently purchased the Wurx fuel transfer sytem, which consists of a 20 gal plastic tank and an electric pump with hose and fuel nozzle with on-off lever. Works like a charm; I fill up the Wurx tank at a service station, then at the airport I slide the tank from my pickup onto a roll-around cart and roll it to the airplane, plug the pump into a long extension cord, turn it on and dispense fuel into my airplane tanks.
    20210220_130350.jpg20210220_131858.jpg
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Fueling Equipment

That looks like a good unit. It looks like you have carpet in your pick up bed so I would be a bit concerned sliding that plastic across the carpet and static building up and have a very unpleasant day. I have seen folks using a grounding wire in a like situation, just a thought.

How long does it take that unit to pump 20 gal?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    How long does it take that unit to pump 20 gal?
    The pump puts out 4.5 gpm so you do the math. It pumps at about the same rate as pouring from a 5 gal can.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Kevin, the pump comes standard to run on 110/120 vac so I use a long extension cord. Wurx says they have an adapter to run on 12 vdc.

Tracstarr, the hose is 6' long. The fittings are non-standard plastic, I think, so lengthening the hose might take some study.

This setup is inexpensive and probably not something that will take a lot of abuse and last for 20 years. The 20 gal tank itself seems quite sturdy; the pump/hose/nozzle is where the low cost shows up. Its a step up from plastic jerry cans and seemed worth a try for me.
    The threaded bung that the pump fits into appears to me to be the same size as the bung on a steel 55 gal drum. I'll bet if you wanted to upgrade the pump/hose/nozzle you could buy a standard barrel pump (hand crank or electric) and install it on the Wurx 20 gal tank. This combo could give a fairly heavy duty setup with the convenience of the smaller 20 gal tanks.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim

Did Wurx replace your pump that died? Wondering about their customer service.

Rick

That is really cool.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

John, is that a steel or aluminum tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    John, is that a steel or aluminum tank?
    It's aluminum, Jim.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

For operating on floats, I use plastic 5 gal. (imperial) can with the vent cap. I put an air valve in the vent cap and made a brass washer with nipples on both sides and added appropriate lengths of inlet and outlet hoses. I also soldered a copper wire to the brass washer and ran a ground wire up the hose with a grounding clamp attached to the wing tank filler hole. Simply attach my little car tire inflator compressor and in about 4 - 5 mins. all the fuel has been "pumped into the wing"....(about the same amount of time it takes to siphon it in from the top of my ladder in the hanger. Of Note: when all the fuel is in the wing, you must not shut off the compressor before removing the hose into the wing tank, or it starts to siphon back into the plastic gas can.
    Attached Images Attached Images